Weightlifting & Exercise/dumbbell front raise

I've always done db front raises taking the dumbbells up to shoulder height or a few inches above, let's say 90 degrees from starting position. However I recently came across a vintage video of Arnold doing them till vertical so a full 180 degrees from the starting position.
What's the advantage of doing them that way?

Hey anne

i know which video you are talking about and have asked the same question. Doing front shoulder raises at 180 degrees in my opinion is not recommended because it puts your shoulder socket at a mechanical disadvantage and injury can occur. After doing raises at parellel you should let the dumbbell lower back to the starting position. You shoulders are not normally supposed to be in the position of 180 degree flexion with your arm extended out like that.

hope this helps

Weightlifting & Exercise

I can answer Strength training questions, Fitness, sports specific training, injury rehabilitation and lifestyle behavior changes.

I train primarily athletes and regular people who need to get back in a fitness routine.

NSCA; The National Strength and Conditioning Association ACSM; The American College of Sports Medicine CSEP; The Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology NASM; The National Academy of Sports Medicine

Check here at www.fit2assist.com for further information on how to start building yourself, improve your body and live better.

I am an Exercise Scientist & Strength and Conditioning coach with 6 specializations/credentials, - Strength Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength and Conditioning Association, primarily dealing with athletic performance training. - Corrective Exercise specialist (CES) and Sports Performance Coach (PES) with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. - An Health fitness Specialist with the American College Of Sports Medicine - An Exercise Physiologist with CSEP. -TRX Group Qualified instructor.