Weightlifting & Exercise/modified HIIT?

Question
I am hearing a lot about HIIT or interval training to lose weight. I tried it a few times and I felt like I was going to croak! I am 50, with hypertension (controlled) and two bad knees and a so so back.
Would a 'modified' HIIT workout be helpful, or does it HAVE to be flat out for 15 seconds like a bear is chasing you? I am doing this: running fast (not jogging) for one minute on my manual incline treadmill, rest ( I putt on my carpet a few times), weights, than run again for reps.
It leaves me exhausted but feeling OK. Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Hey whats happening Barry, thanks for your question.

HIIT is a good exercise but its for a specific person already with being accustomed to training (training for at least 1 month). That being said since you have hypertension you need to be careful with the amount of intensity your training with but also your bad knees need to be trained with care because once the knees go you cant support the rest of your body. I would recommend just getting a check up with your physician before anything so you dont get injured while your training. He/ she will give you a list of what woild be alright yo do and what you should avoid. Its not to say you wont be training but the training will be more specific to your needs.

HIIT is good, its cool but its for the right person at the right place and at the right time. If your body has issues then you might have to modify your training program but that always starts with the physician when theres an issue like this. Hypertension from what i remember from guidelines usually should be no more then 70% of 1 RM or around 12-15 reps in a set and avoiding overhead pressing movements. When it comes to training your  philsophy should be is what do i need to do to get all the benefits with no problems later on. But check with your doctor first.

Hope this helps Barry keep me posted  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Daniel