Weightlifting & Exercise/Squat issues

I am a 24 year old female recently gettin into weight training again. Icant seem to get back in a correct squat position. I cant go down to 90 degrees and if i do my knees go over my toes, i lead with my knees and lift my heels. How can i train myself back to doing it right?

Hi Courtney "knees going over the toes" is somewhat of a myth when it comes to squats.  If you are doing the squat properly your knees have to go beyond your toes.  The question is, Is your squat form correct?  The biggest thing is are you squatting through your hips or your knees?

Take a look at these blog posts for some more specific help:

There are 3 parts for this series.

I hope some of that helps.

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Skidmore

I can answer questions in the following areas: general fitness questions, strength training, flexibility, aerobic training, balance training and corrective/rehab training. Please no questions regarding specific injuries I would need more information then what you can provide in an email to answer these questions accurately. You must be 18 years or older to ask me a question. If you need more in depth help or would like help with your specific workout plans please visit my website. I offer online training and phone consultations. www.completely-fit.com. I also offer a monthly newsletter.

I am the owner of the Completely Fit personal training company located in Mt. Airy, Maryland. My company offers one-on-one, online and group fitness training services, sports performance and team training, weight education classes and healthy lifestyle seminars. Before starting my own company I taught health and physical education for 10 years. I have been the featured speaker on topics such as fitness and exercise, proper nutrition and health awareness. I graduated from Edinboro University with a degree in education specializing in athletic training. I gained my NATA certification in 1994. I also maintain certifications as a personal trainer with NCSF & NSPA, as a performance enhancement specialist with NASM, as well as an exercise development specialist and a nutrition specialist. Calling on my experience with college athletes and teaching middle school students, I decided to use my knowledge to educate the general public on the benefits of physical fitness and healthy eating habits. I enjoy working with people and helping them achieve each and every one of their goals. Completely Fit offers services to everyone, from beginners to professional athletes.

NATA NASM NCSF Lifestyle Management Assoc.

certified athletic trainer performance enhancement specialist certified personal trainer nutrition specialist Integrative Movement Specialist