Weightlifting & Exercise/strength training and hiit

Dear Karen

I am a skinny fat person and I have been doing hiit for a month now, 4 times a week. Each workout lasts 30 minutes, 2 days legs (squats, lounges, leg liftsÖ) and 2 days upper body workout. I donít use the treadmill, itís mostly high intensity workout using body weight and dumbells.
I have cut out most sugary food, apart from dark chocolate and white bread. I have 1 or 2 protein shakes with oat powder.

My body type is the worse in my opinion, I want to lose fat on my tummy but I also want to bulk up my legs and arms. I am aware that hiit makes you burn fat, but does it help bulking up? If not, should I add some strength training before or after hiit? I have been trying to find an answer on internet, but people seem to have different opinions. Some say I should alternate, doing 4 weeks hiit and 4 weeks strength training. Some say I should do strength training before hiit and some say I should do hiit on my rest days, but thatís not an option, my rest days are only about stretching and resting.
I hope you can help.

I think we need to tweek your diet. Workouts are good. You might do only one shake and cut all white bread, pasta, rolls, etc. Add vegetables and lean meats or fish to your diet if you still feel hungry. Limit that dark chocolate. We get lulled into a false sense of security with it. I know it's very good.  Make sure you are drinking water too.  You are very close to success! Keep working and keep in touch.  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan

Get on the inside track with Karen and her daily advice. http://karenfilisullivan.com. Or on FacebookLIKE us at ZWL - Zen of Whole Living I have more than 30 years experience and can help with lifting technique, muscle recovery, weight loss, body building and powerlifting. I've been certified by AFPA as a Personal Trainer and 12 years ago acquired a second certification from the same agency as a Post Rehabilitative Exercise Specialist. Any recommendations or advice rendered are based on fitness information as specified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. Follow my Blog on http://karenfilisullivan.com

Almost 25 years coaching and training. Wow! I feel old. Before that I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter (ask my Chiropractor -- he can tell you). I have trained kids ages 12 to 89. From sports specific training to stroke rehabilitation. I love helping people move more gracefully, powerfully and safely.

A few.

Published in Spring of 2013 The Zen of Weight Loss: A Mindful, Livable Approach to Fitness Get your copy at Square Market. https://squareup.com/market/body-restoration-by-karen/zen-of-weight-loss-in-mo

English with a Journalism concentration was my college education. My training has been with my mentor, Jack Michaels, ACSM and professor at the College of William and Mary. My certifications are with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. AFPA. I hold a certification as a Personal Trainer and a Post Rehabilitation Exercise Expert (Isn't that a mouthful?l). My continuing education requirements have been fulfilled at a number of organizations and are monitored by AFPA. I keep my Red Cross CPR and First Aid current.

Clients include athletes training for marathons, mountain climbing and general weight loss. In addition I have clients troubled with COPD, Fibromyalgia, and Parkinsons as well as stroke rehab. She was the Strength and Conditioning coach for Williamsburg Aquatic Club, a USA Swim Team, in Williamsburg, Virginia for 3 years.†† Karen is presently working at Main Street Gym in Historic St. Charles, Missouri where she teaches Pilates and continues her work with clients. Her training reaches across the country with her long distance Body Restoration eTraining. Her dedication to fitness reaches into the nutritional supplementation with Shaklee products. She only works with clients who add nutritional supplementation to their training. Read more of her story on www.shaklee.net/BodyRestoration