Weightlifting & Exercise/training

hello David  I am 56 years old. I have started going to gym. one day I do some weight lifting and quats and etc.
the next day I do cardo, and the next day weights and  then the next day cardio and so on. my question is how many days should I go before I take a full day off , no cardo or weights thank you

Hello George

First, good for you! The gym will have an amazingly positive effect on your body.
If you start out lifting light, with a LOT of reps, this will speed up the metabolism and tighten up the entire body. 20-50 reps per exercise. You CAN rest when tired. Then resume.

As you gradually lift heavier and heavier (most gyms increase the weight by 5, or 10, or 20 lbs.), then the more REST after the gym you will need. How to tell; if you are stiff and sore the next day, you are lifting too heavy. If you are stiff and sore the next 2-3 days, you are DEFINITELY lifting too heavy.

Rest, fully recover, and then return to the gym.

I go to the gym Mon-Wed-Fri. My EGO wants to lift heavy. But my body tells me what I can do, and what I cannot do. I see others do exercises that will just end up hurting me. So I ignore the desire to copy them.

Once a week, I use either a Smith machine or a power rack. Set the bar about 1" below your shoulder height. Put on some small weight plates, pad on the bar for comfort, squat down slightly and lift the bar with your shoulders and neck. Balance the bar with your hands. I use a small timer. I set it for 1 minute. Lift, hold the weight, elbows slightly bent, back slightly bent, and knees slightly bent. Then come back a week later. Use fractional plates to increase what you lift by 1 pound per week.

I bring my own factional plates. Write down what I am lifting on a pocket note pad.

As the weight get's heavier, your muscles in your body get tighter. And you can get some impressive mass with this exercise.

What is cool is to get older, but not weaker. You can build-up good strength and impressive mass, lower body fat, and so on. You even look younger because lifting and aerobics tightens up everything.

Hope this helps. Good lifting!

Weightlifting & Exercise

David Dickeson, A.S.

Ask this! - Why do all the self-help books, the exercise books, the weightlifting books, and the weight-lifting magazines - are written by (mostly) guys who are in fantastic (photo enhanced) physical shape who are in their 20's and 30's in age, telling all of us how "we" can look like them, if ONLY we forget we have jobs, families, many physical limitations, daily life responsibilities, and especially NO TIME to go to the gym every day, only by the time they reach age 40-50, or older, we never see, or hear from them - ever again?

OK, now I am 62-YEARS-OLD. Retired at age 60! I have been lifting weights for 28 years. I have learned 'first-hand' which exercises work, which do not. Exercises that you do NOT need to attend a gym to achieve, exercises that you will use very minimal equipment, and exercises for people with limitations such as sickness, age, and/or injuries. I can especially tell you which exercise machine you see in magazines or on tv; REALLY work. I have tried most everything myself.

None. I do not have the time to belong to organizations.

I answer questions on Yahoo questions. Search 'The Terminator Fan.'

I have a business degree. For exercise, taught me to keep good diaries on what exercises I am doing.

They do not give awards for giving free advice. Wish they did, though.

None. All volunteer work on AllExperts.