Weightlifting & Exercise/Doing aerobics, rest afterwards

Question
Hello,
I lift weights once a week. It takes me a week to fully recover from weightlifting. But what about aerobics? I do them once a week too. Do you recover QUICKER from aerobics than weightlifting, so you can do aerobics more than 1 day a week? Or should I keep the one-day-a-week program?

Answer
Hi David,

The general consensus is that your body does recover from cardio quicker than from resistance exercise. 24 hours is usually considered enough recovery time for things like running, cycling, walking where 48 is more likely to be used for resistance exercise.

Personally I workout with weights 2 times a week, used to be 4 but have reduced that as I have aged. I ride my bike pretty much daily.

If you are happy with the results you are getting from 1 day a week and you are consistent with that then I would not change what you are doing. If however you are not satisfied with the results you are getting then I would change things by possibly adding at least an extra bout of exercise like a bike ride or a run, maybe some time on the treadmill, A hike in the woods, gardening or dancing are also forms of exercise which are great, you don't have to be in a gym to get exercise.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerr  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin