Weightlifting & Exercise/Doing aerobics, rest afterwards

I lift weights once a week. It takes me a week to fully recover from weightlifting. But what about aerobics? I do them once a week too. Do you recover QUICKER from aerobics than weightlifting, so you can do aerobics more than 1 day a week? Or should I keep the one-day-a-week program?

Hi David,

The general consensus is that your body does recover from cardio quicker than from resistance exercise. 24 hours is usually considered enough recovery time for things like running, cycling, walking where 48 is more likely to be used for resistance exercise.

Personally I workout with weights 2 times a week, used to be 4 but have reduced that as I have aged. I ride my bike pretty much daily.

If you are happy with the results you are getting from 1 day a week and you are consistent with that then I would not change what you are doing. If however you are not satisfied with the results you are getting then I would change things by possibly adding at least an extra bout of exercise like a bike ride or a run, maybe some time on the treadmill, A hike in the woods, gardening or dancing are also forms of exercise which are great, you don't have to be in a gym to get exercise.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http;//