Weightlifting & Exercise/Bone Loss and muscle pain

Hello Jerry,  I am deathly scared of breaking my bones as I'm on thyroxine which you may know is detrimental to bones causing bone loss let alone the fact that I'm 55 years and I already have been diagnosed with arthritis in the neck, the middle discs, can't remember which disc has basically thinned to paper width on one side.  I have heard there are exercises which can assist people that are aging and concerned with osteo problems, I am truly scared of the creaking and cracking of my back and a rib that seems to cross over another on the bottom left side under the arm, my neck gives me terrible pain and makes it very hard to turn my head as it seems to freeze in the muscles in pain.  I found that my muscles are aching much worse than what they used to increasing dramatically every year now, my neck causes me great discomfort and pain and immobility.  Which exercises could I commence to assist in improving my muscles and my bone density please?  Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.  Regards Karen

Hi Karen,

I have to assume that since you are on Thyroxine that you are under the care of a physician of some sort.

Before you start an exercise program of any kind you should make sure that your doctor is aware of it and is OK with it. Really you should probably ask him/her to recommend a good therapist and follow the program of that therapist.

With that said here is a link to the National Osteoporosis Foundation which offers some exercise recommendations that may help. http://nof.org/articles/238

First and foremost though is your safety and you should trust your physician enough to confide in him/her your concerns, so please go see your physician and tell him just what you have told me. If he is a good physician he will help.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com