Weightlifting & Exercise/weight training

hi jerry...how are u?
         myself rahul...iam a fitness enthustiastic...i had got a serious doubt relating weight training...i use to do weight training 4 days a week and cardio 3 days...i wanted to know if it is advisible and beneficial to use dumbells and barbells only by opting out machine workouts when training with weights...also i want to know if it is advisible to use dumbbell only for weight training  routines..iam expecting your valuable advice on this..

Hi Rahul,

Sorry for the delay in answering. I was out of town for  a few days and when I came back my computer would not work right, been trying to get that fixed since Friday, but not many Gurus around on the weekends.

Virtually any sort of equipment has its benefits and drawbacks, barbells and dumbells have the added benefit of helping improve the stabilizing muscles, but that doesn't mean that machines can not be beneficial especially in the cases of rehab for injuries.

I have said this for a long time now and stand by it. So many people ask what is the best exercise, or the best plan. My answer is always the same the one you will do consistently over time is the best for you. If you feel DB's and BB's are the best and you will use them consistently then they are the best for you. Another athlete may find that they like and will consistently use a treadclimber or a bicycle.

As far as using DB only, you can get a fantastic exercise regimen with just dumbbells. You can find many dumbbell routines online, from total body to targeting just about any body part.

A few years ago Muscle Media Magazine (no longer in print) did an amazing layout on using dumbbells as the only tool for working out. I believe Muscles and Fitness and several other bodybuilding magazines have also run similar layouts.

So yes I would definitely say that using dumbbells for working out and weight training is an excellent choice.

Hope this helps,

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com