Weightlifting & Exercise/weightlifting and sacoiliac joint pain

Question
Hello Jerry,

My son is 17 and has been weightlifting for about three years. In the last year he has gotten very serious with it after he ended up quitting basketball and football because of several concussions. He loves working out but I think he is over doing it . In the  last couple months he has twice complained of pain in his lower back buttocks area which sounds like it  is sacroiliac joint ??? He does a lot of squatting and deadlifts. Do you have alternative exercises he can do for his legs that doesn't put so much pressure on that joint, and also what is the best treatment for pain for this???
I also wanted to ask you about your thoughts on getting a degree as a registered dietician??? He does really well in science and is taking anatomy/ physiology this year. He weighs all of his food and is very focused on nutrition, but from what I read it is a very competitive field and hard to get an internship???

Thank You,

Marianne

Answer
Hi Marianne,

I am glad that your son is involved in bodybuilding and that he is taking it to a good level. He does need to be careful though. If you can afford it get him a trainer that can help make sure he is using good form and doing all the exercises properly. Pain is your body trying to tell you something, he may be trying to lift too much too quickly or he may not be using good form on some exercises. Those are the 2 most common reasons for pain. If you are on a budget you can have him go to youtube or google and check out the numerous online videos of various exercises which are usually put together by Personal Trainers and most of the time will show the correct way to do various exercises.

As far as a degree and becoming a registered dietitian, if that is what he wants then support him and go for it. Internships may be hard to find, but they are out there and the ones that are out there will be very beneficial.

Hope this helps,

Have a great day

Jerry  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin