Weightlifting & Exercise/Gym memberships

How easy is it to end a gym membership without penalty? I had (and still have) a rotor cuff injury and haven't been to the gym in months. When I do decide to get back into it (tonight) I find the gym location I signed up in had closed. I drive to the next nearest location to find my location had been closed since March or so and I've been charged every month since then without notice that it had closed. Location was the sole reason behind joining that gym. Do you think it is likely they'll refund me the months since they closed and end my contract peaceable or might I need a legal authority to butt in here?

Hi James,

The only thing you can do is to try, but don't expect much. Contact the management and explain the situation.I really doubt that they will be very receptive, but you can try. You may get the peaceful cancellation but I really doubt they will refund any back dues, since even though they did not notify you, you also did not notify them or make them aware that you were injured and was not able to use the facilities.

You may want to check with an attorney, and maybe they will have a different opinion, but I would say the best you should hope for is to get thye balance of the contract cancelled and not have to pay any more.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com