Weightlifting & Exercise/weightlifting and exercise

Question
hi Karen I had two total knee replacements in the last ten months and am trying to get healthy again.  I am starting a weight (strength) training) program 3 days a week on alternate days.  I would like to know if I could do a moderate swiss ball routine on alternate days from weights.  I have no weight training experience (some ball) but I have the "Idiot" guide to weight training and seems to agree with other books concerning a beginning program.  I have overtrained in the past and am trying a more moderate approach now......I am 67 years old , a longshoreman when I can get back to work.  I weighed 330 lbs two and a half years ago and weigh 250 lbs today.  The weight loss was intentional and accomplished by mild exercise and intentionally paying attention to calorie intake.  I am in touch with my doctor.  and currently am shooting for 1500 calories per day but I miss this more often than I hit it.  thank you for considering this. (question is: will adding ball routine on alternate weight training days result in overtraining? and hurting me and impeding progress in long run?)

Answer
Mike,
Good on you!  Losing weight with intention and mindfulnessis my gig!  http://zwlcoaching.com is my site and has some articles you will find beneficial.

Regarding the additional training....it all depends on what kind of routine you are doing and on the intensity of that routine. In my humble opinion, I think you should just walk or bike on those days. Give your body time to recover from the weights. By swiss ball I believe you mean the large balls you sit on. I call it Stability Ball, but it's all the same animal.

Strength training is strength training -- whether or not you are lifting weights, or dumb bells, or body weight, or tubes, or tires -- and you need to allow your body to rest. Between the muscle resistance training should be cardio and stretching.

Keep up the good work.
Be Well!
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan