Weightlifting & Exercise/Covers

Question
Do they make covers for barbells? I have hand barbells and hate the metal clang they make when they come together. Also I'd like to keep the weight ends of the barbells dry as I keep them outdoors. Any ideas?

Answer
Hi James,

I have never seen such an item, but when doing a search on google did find that there were other people looking for something similar for various reasons.

One idea I seen was to purchase a rubber mat that you could lift on so when you lay the weights down they would not make as much noise and they would not be damaged.  At Home Depot they have some stuff in the electronics area that you paint on and it hardens into a rubber-like material. This would be similar to the Insulation on and insulated pair of pliers or other tool, so it is not real thick, but should help.

Based on the question I am going to assume that the bar you have is hollow. you can find a piece of rubber or possibly a rubber cork to put in the end which will keep water and bugs out.   

There are several "rubberized" coatings available in various colors that you can paint the bars and the weights with which would help with the noise and would also help with the ability for the weights and bars to withstand the weather.     

I would guess that rubberized coatings would probably be the best and cheapest way to go, you can also purchase rubberized coated weight plates.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin