Weightlifting & Exercise/exercises after TKR

Question
I am 64 year old woman who had a total knee replacement one year ago. My other knee also will need to be replaced sometime in the near future.  I definitely do not want the other knee done until the pain is gone from my other knee.  Now to get to my question, what type of exercises can I do to firm up my thighs/butt/arms. After surgery I lost a lot of weight...so with age and weight loss my bod is jell-o!  I was told I can't do squats, lunges or treadmill on steep incline.  I was pretty active three years ago - I rode a Harley and walked 3-4 miles a day. Any help and/or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Brenda,
I would assume the pain from the TKR is still there????? What has our doctor said about that?  I think it should be gone by now.

If you still have pain I recommend you tell you doc and ask him to write for more pt. I would not recommend any exercises for legs butt etc until you are cleared by them. You shouldn't have pain at this point.  

This web page will have exercise videos you can use for upper body but I caution you do not do the leg and butt stuff yet.  http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-category.asp?category=3

If you are able -- pending release from the doc....walk. begin to walk again.

As I said the red flag went up when you said "I definitely do not want the other knee done until the pain is gone from my other knee."

Keep in touch -- write back if I've misunderstood you.  Thanks, Karen  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan