Weightlifting & Exercise/Rope pull machines

Question
QUESTION: Do you consider rope pull type machines to be very good for a well rounded exercise routine like the machines with the stack weights or the Total Gym machine?

And can you imagine someone could easily enough build a machine like that? Perhaps with fewer weight options.

ANSWER: Hi James

Yes and Yes.

Yes I do consider weight machines such as you describe to be a viable alternative to free weights and an excellent exercise, Total Gym would be one of my favorites.

As far as building these machines, any decent welder with the proper raw materials and a decent set of plans should be able to build acceptable versions of these machines in a couple of days that will work just fine, may not be as fancy, but will serve there purpose.

I used to know a person that built all his own equipment, he woulld go down and take photos of the machines he liked and then go home and build his own "version" usually it turned out as good or better than what he could buy and save him thousands of dollars in costs.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry

QUESTION: What type of ropes are best for this type of thing and where to get handles at end of ropes? Also pullies and types of weights?

Answer
Hi James

As far as types of "ropes" I prefer the wire ropes to nylon or other tyrpes of rope, but nylon will work quite well too. You can either make the handles yourself or many times you can buy handles through fitness websites that would be the replacement handles for the commercially made machines or you may find some handles that come from other items you have around the house, like old bicycle handlebars might be used or even some old door handles might work depending on your needs and budget.

You can also possibly use concrete blocks or pavers in place of weight plates. Use your imagination, Your creation does not have to look or act exactly like a commercial product, it just has to work.

Look around the yard sales and such to see what you can find, you may also even find an old machine that you can repair for very little. I have actually been given machines just for people to get them out of the house or bought a machine that originally sold for several hundred dollars for as little as 2.00 at auction.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin