Weightlifting & Exercise/Knees are done?

Question
Hi Jerry
I am 56. Up until I turned 50, I was able to do a 30 minute daily run. Since then, although I have maintained my weight, and I do knee exercises, my ability to run has diminished. I can now only jog for about 30 minutes, and my knees are sore for days after. I had one knee scoped out three years ago after an accident, and the doc said there was arthritis in there. I am assuming it is in both knees, and has progressed. What do you think? Do a lot of guys hang up their runners at my age for that reason? Maybe I should stick to walking, which is not a problem. Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Hi Bud,

Hung up my running shoes 25 year ago, why beat your knees to death, get a better workout and less damage to the knees by getting a bicycle. Your knees will thank you and you will get a much better workout. Walking is OK, but won't give you the quality of workout that a bike will.

Buy a cheap bike and try it out, yard sales are great, or someone may have one in their garage.If you like it ,then spend some money on a good bike, but at least try it out, more benefits than running without the joint damage caused by the trauma each running step causes.

I recomend cycling to everyone unless thay have balance issues, then They may want to get and adult trike. Still great workout, and much easier on the joints.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin