Weightlifting & Exercise/Exercise

QUESTION: Hi, I am 28 year old guy. I am doing gym at home only using dumbbells. I want to make my legs(specially knees) more stronger, the reason for this is i am feeling a little discomfort in my left knee since more than 3 years. I have seen specialists such as orthopedic, physiotherapist, and as per them my knees are fine(although i didn't go through any medical test). I would like to ask, is it good to do leg exercises such as squats, dumbbell lunges, etc ? Will they make my knees stronger, or this is a bad idea and they'll make my knees worse ?

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: Hi Rohit,

In general the more you use the knees and the more you move them, the better they will feel and if you add some weights for resistance you will build strength in the knees and legs. There are a good deal of exercises which will help build strength in the lower extremities and will make the joints work  smoother.

Don't overdo the exercises or try too much weight to start with, you do not want to get an injury right away.

Numerous supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin and MSM or combinations may help build up the cartilage in the knees which will often help with slight pain in the knees. You also may have "dry" joints which can be caused by not enough synovial fluid in the joints, which is not really a "medical" problem. Exercise and supplements can help with building up the synovial fluid and basically lubricating the joints

I have also seen Fish Oil being recommended to help with the joints. Here is a pretty good article on joint supplements http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/johnjoint.htm

Hope this helps

Have a great day

QUESTION: Hi, thankyou for the response, and also for letting me know that exercising will help getting my knees stronger. I will include squats in my routine. One concern is, as far as supplements(those you mentioned) are concerned, are they safe enough to take, or do i need to consult some physician first before taking the same.

As far as I know the supplements I mentioned are available over the counter, are considered safe and do not need any sort of prescription, so you should not need to see a physician to get them or use them.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com