Weightlifting & Exercise/medial deltoid and lateral raise problem

sir i have a question about my weight training exercise called lateral raises.I have been doing bodybuilding for approx.3 years now.i have encountered a problem with dumbell lateral raise.Previously,the exercise went fine i felt that lateral raises isolated my medial deltoids and i felt the burn during exercise and muscle soreness after exercise.But recently it caused me to struggle,as for some strange reason,i cannot feel my medial deltoid during lateral raise,instead,i feel burn and soreness in my anterior delt,trapezius and a slight pain during rotation of shoulder but my middle delt doesnt do work during the abduction of humerus.i have tried reducing the weight,different variations of exercise but failed.i didnt have a major injury of shoulder in the past i just had a slight pain in shoulder which i encountered during bench press but it went away after rest and anti inflammatory medicines now my bench press is also fine but lateral raises are causing problem.PLEASE DO ANSWER ASAP.

Hi Muhammad,

It sounds as though you may not be doing the exercise incorrectly or without proper form, however I cannot be absolutely sure.

Hre is a video showing the correct method

If possible do the exercise in front of a mirror so you can "watch" yourself do it and make sure that your body mechanics are correct.

It would also be a great idea to get trainer to help you with body mechanics.

If you continue to have pain and cannot identify a problem with the body mechanics hen you should see a physician, one that specializes in Sports Medicine.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http;//