Weightlifting & Exercise/muscle recovery by walking

Question
Hi, how long does it take to rebuild muscles by WALKING if I haven't been able to walk for a while because of a disability?
I was  very inactive for several months, but fully recovered now. Also what's a good exercise for upper body muscle rebuilding? Another way to ask it, how long before I don't get any benefits to the lower body muscles from walking alone. And need to start weight training? Thanks a lot

Answer
Hello Todd!
I'm glad you are recovered and on the road to renewed strength! The length of time it takes to get stronger is different for each person.. I believe you will begin to see a difference in a few weeks. Start slowly. Walk a block...then 2... Then try around a block. In the meantime you can do upper body with cans of soup for biceps. You can do push ups while standing in front of your sink at first.

You can also help your leg strength by standing up -- sit down -- stand again from a straight backed kitchen chair.

The sign that it's time to hit weights is that when you do any of these things. . . It's effortless. You have no muscle soreness. It's A piece of cake....and you are bored.

Best of luck to you on your road to recovery.

Be well!
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan