Weightlifting & Exercise/Post Pregnancy belly

Question
Hi Karen!
I am 36 year old and a mother to 10-month old triplets. During the pregnancy my belly bulged a great deal and my weight before my cs was 240 lbs. I gained around 88 lbs during the pregnancy. My height is 164.5 cm. My problem is that i still look 6 month pregnant although the rest of my body has shrunk considerably. i cant do ab exercises as this may worsen my ab muscles. will walking help me to lose my belly? what about the vibration belts that tone the muscles? are they helpful? can i use power plates? And yes, I am not breastfeeding anymore.

Answer
Hi Afreen!
Congratulations on your twins! Big job!

The first question I have has to do with your muscle in your belly. Do you know if the rectus abdominus or 6-pack abs are still connected? Those muscles form a seam down the center of your body. Sometimes they split apart in pregnancies with larger or multiple babies. It has very little to do with weight gain. The weight gain is the far on top of the muscle. There is little you can do short of surgery, but it his is something you should know...ask your doctor.

That said....I believe you can do three things.
1. Find time to walk...30 minutes is a good start.
2. Eat veggies, a little fruit, and protein (meat and fish) stay away from potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and other forms of sugar and flour.
3. Try to work your belly slowly. Begin by lying on your back...the children can crawl over you! Fun for them. Practice breathing.
Full breath in. Exhale all the air and brace your belly as if someone is going to punch you. Keep squeezing out air until it's gone and when you breathe in...relax the gut. Don't try to lift, don't mash your back into the floor. Learn to control the belly like this first. Start with 3 full breaths 3 times.
Watch a video.   http://www.nytimes.com/video/magazine/1194841000095/core-values.html
As you are stronger I recommend you try to add these exercises. Start with the one where you are lying on your back and hands under your hips.

Keep in touch! Best of luck.
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan