Weightlifting & Exercise/rebuilding muscle after disability

Hi, how long does it take to rebuild muscles by WALKING if I haven't been able to walk for a while because of a disability?
I was  very inactive for several months, but fully recovered now. Also what's a good exercise for upper body muscle rebuilding? Another way to ask it, how long before I don't get any benefits to the lower body muscles from walking alone. And need to start weight training? Thanks a lot

Hi Tod,

Personally I would start some very low weight resistance exercise right now and combine the resistance with the walking. This will challenge your body, but be careful not to overdo it. Keep the weights low and the reps too, to start. Then increase the reps, before you increase the weight. Hope that makes sense.

Start out doing low weight for say  reps, increase that to a point where you are doing 15-20 reps easily without really feeling a burn before you go up in the weight you are lifting. Safety should be the 1st concern, you do not want to be injured.

As far as the question as to how long it will take to no longer benefit from walking and when you should start building the upper body. You will always find some benefit to walking and if you can do some slow and fast walking in intervals it will benefit you even more. As far as when to start working on the upper body, now is a perfect time, just be very careful not to push too hard too fast.

Here is an excellent resource for exercises

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http;//