Weightlifting & Exercise/rebuilding muscle after disability

Question
Hi, how long does it take to rebuild muscles by WALKING if I haven't been able to walk for a while because of a disability?
I was  very inactive for several months, but fully recovered now. Also what's a good exercise for upper body muscle rebuilding? Another way to ask it, how long before I don't get any benefits to the lower body muscles from walking alone. And need to start weight training? Thanks a lot

Answer
Hi Tod,

Personally I would start some very low weight resistance exercise right now and combine the resistance with the walking. This will challenge your body, but be careful not to overdo it. Keep the weights low and the reps too, to start. Then increase the reps, before you increase the weight. Hope that makes sense.

Start out doing low weight for say  reps, increase that to a point where you are doing 15-20 reps easily without really feeling a burn before you go up in the weight you are lifting. Safety should be the 1st concern, you do not want to be injured.

As far as the question as to how long it will take to no longer benefit from walking and when you should start building the upper body. You will always find some benefit to walking and if you can do some slow and fast walking in intervals it will benefit you even more. As far as when to start working on the upper body, now is a perfect time, just be very careful not to push too hard too fast.

Here is an excellent resource for exercises http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin