Weightlifting & Exercise/rebuilding muscle by walking

Hi, how long does it take to rebuild muscles by WALKING if I haven't been able to walk for a while because of a disability?
I was  very inactive for several months, but fully recovered now. Also what's a good exercise for upper body muscle rebuilding? Another way to ask it, how long before I don't get any benefits to the lower body muscles from walking alone. And need to start weight training? Thanks a lot

Hi Tod,

I myself have been in this situation. I broke my heel bone and couldn't put any weight on it for four months. It will take several months for your body to rebuild your leg to the way it was using muscle memory. Everybody is different so it could take 2-3 months or up to 6 months but eventually it will be fine.

You can start some light weight training after a couple of months if the doctor has given you the all clear. Squats, lunges, leg press etc. will give you the most benefits.

For the upper-body you can start weight training now. There are several exercises you can do seated or if you have access to a gym you can use the many supported machines there. If you just want a pair of dumbbells then here are some exercises for each body part:

. Seated shoulder press
. Seated shoulder raises
. Seated front raises
. Reverse delt raises

. Bicep curls
. Concentration curls
. Hammer curls

. One-handed dumbbell extension
. Tricep kickbacks
. Dumbbell skull-crushers

. Dumbbell bench press
. Dumbbell flies
. Alternating dumbbell bench press
. Push ups

. Dumbbell pull over
. Pull-ups
. Arm-armed dumbbell rows
. Dumbbell deadlifts
. Bent over dumbbell rows

I hope this helps you. Please take time to check out, like and follow my facebook page

All the best,

Weightlifting & Exercise

Muzza Fitness

I can answer questions related to fitness, weight lifting, bodybuilding, strength training, workout plans, nutrition, weight loss, dieting, fitness nutrition and any general fitness related questions.

I am a fully certified ISSA trainer and have worked in one of Central Europe's biggest gyms. In 2014 I will be an IFFB certified bodybuilder trainer.

ISSA certified personal trainer. Certified in nutrition. Junior Sports Leadership award.

I have had many clients who had diferent fitness goals and I helped them achieve those goals.