Weightlifting & Exercise/Weight loss and muscle gain

Question
Hello. I have started to train to build muscle, and lose my gut. I've never really done any weight lifting, or targeted exercises before. In the past, I've mostly relied on just normal everyday physical activity to keep me fit. Now I'm in my 20's, and in college, I'm not as active as I was. I'm not really over-weight, or at least I don't think I am ( 5'10 160lbs). I am a somewhat small guy, as far as arms and legs and stuff, but I've developed a bit of a 'beer gut'. I've decided to try to get this off, and try to build some muscle instead. Do I need to do this in steps, or can they both be done at the same time?

I've been going to the gym and working my triceps, shoulders, forearms, and chest, followed by a 2 miles run, then the next day my back, biceps, and core, followed by a 2 mile run. In the days following, I go on a 3 mile run, and a I rest the day after that. I usually follow-up on my workouts with a whey protein shake. I've been doing this for about 3-4 weeks now. Does this seem like a good workout, or should I try to lose my gut first, then build muscle?

Also, when at the gym using the fly machine, or just doing fly's, I feel like I'm working more of my biceps than my chest. Is this normal, or a doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

Answer
Darryl, I think you've worked up a great routine! I believe in doing it all at once. What you are choosing to do is raise the calories demand because muscle burns more calories. At the same time the fat will be reduced. Be sure you are eating right. Meats, fish, veggies and drink water.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Regarding the chest work: it's common to feel this exercise in the arms and shoulders. Be sure you,are not pulling your shoulders up around your ears when you do it. Also concentrate on actual voting the chest. I try to encourage my classes nets to use theirs upper arms to squeeze your body when you bring the hands together. It will help you flex the chest until its second nature. It's hard to describe. Let me know if you need more explanation.  

Keep up the good work.
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan