Weightlifting & Exercise/Weights

Question
QUESTION: Where would you recommend someone go for hand dumbells that are inexpensive metal ones? Are weights typically much more inexpensive in one place or another or always a modest markup from the sheer cost of material? Dick's Sporting good charge like a $1/lb across the board. Anything closer to half that? lol.

ANSWER: Hi James,

The best Place for me has been Garage and Auction Sales, sometimes can pick up that type of product at sales for pennies on the dollar of what yo would pay retail.  Also check out craigslist, ebay etc, you can pften find "used" items for a tenth what new cost and sometimes in almost new condition. I purchased some Olympic Plates at a Auction for 2.00 over 100 lbs of weights.

For the difference in the price you can definitely put up with a little scratch here and there, but these weights had been stored in the box since they were new and were actually still packaged up when I got them. I have bought the standard weights for about the same price.

I also have a nice "bowflex" type machine that I got for FREE just by hauling it off, and a 200.00 (retail) bench I got from Walmart on clearance for 50.00 because I was willing to take the display.

I guess the point is to decide what you are looking for then check out the places that have them. I got a Roman Chair from Hibbetts Sports, last years Model Retail was 150.00 paid 50.00 and took it home. I have nearly worn that out.

I got some weight belts and glove on ebay for about 1/2 what I would have paid for the same gloves in the store, and I don't even consider buying cycling stuff from a retail outlet anymore unless it is something I need right away.

I like Dick's but I can almost always find the same thing cheaper, I have bought a few things from them in the distant past and found they are quick and reasonable but I can almost always do better if I try. Yard sales, Garage sales, estate sales. I have done real well lately at estate sales. If you were close to Moultrie I would take you to our Church Storehouse, they always have that kind of stuff at 1/2 to 1/4 the retail.

Hope this helps,

Have a great day

Jerry

QUESTION: Any retail store recommendations? I am partial to finding adjustable hand weights so I don't have to buy the next weight up for at least the same price again. Especially if they have very thin disc weights so it doesn't become too wide.

Is it your understanding that most retailers charge roughly the same? Dick's online and Walmart in store seemed similar.

Answer
If you are willing to pay retail there is not that much difference between the "sporting Goods" stores and Wal Mart, or The online stores. The bargains will be in finding so called "used equipment" that often has had almost no actual use.  I have seen a few of the adjustable weights at Yard sales and auctions, Usually sell really cheap.

Also check ebay and other auction sites for good prices, often you can buy new from these sites for less than retail, but in the case of weights it is not usually a significant savings. May be worth a look there though.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day,

Jerry

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin