Weightlifting & Exercise/Mini trampoline (rebounder)

Hi! Because I am getting older (60) and my knees were acting up, not to mention its cold out, I decided to get a rebounder. BTW I hate treadmills.  Supposedly rebounding gives the same benefits as real running. Wrong. I can bounce and run on the spot for a long time  and barely break a sweat or get my breathing rate up. Am I doing something wrong?

You aren't wrong. I've personally never gotten enough out of a rebounder...a full size tramp perhaps, but the rebounder doesn't help with cardiovascular work. Now the gravity pull? I'm not sure....

I would like to recommend something to help the knees. Be sure to stretch your hamstrings in the back of your legs and up into your butt. You can do this seated too by crossing one ankle into the opposite knee and leaning forward. Then just straighten your leg and extend it in front of you and lean forward. Careful not to lock your knee out. Keep it slightly bent. I also like to lean on a kitchen counter and keep the legs sort of straight to get the backs of those legs.  In this cold weather I recommend we try to stretch for health! It's good too.

Be Well!

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan

Get on the inside track with Karen and her daily advice. Or on FacebookLIKE us at ZWL - Zen of Whole Living I have more than 30 years experience and can help with lifting technique, muscle recovery, weight loss, body building and powerlifting. I've been certified by AFPA as a Personal Trainer and 12 years ago acquired a second certification from the same agency as a Post Rehabilitative Exercise Specialist. Any recommendations or advice rendered are based on fitness information as specified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. Follow my Blog on

Almost 25 years coaching and training. Wow! I feel old. Before that I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter (ask my Chiropractor -- he can tell you). I have trained kids ages 12 to 89. From sports specific training to stroke rehabilitation. I love helping people move more gracefully, powerfully and safely.

A few.

Published in Spring of 2013 The Zen of Weight Loss: A Mindful, Livable Approach to Fitness Get your copy at Square Market.

English with a Journalism concentration was my college education. My training has been with my mentor, Jack Michaels, ACSM and professor at the College of William and Mary. My certifications are with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. AFPA. I hold a certification as a Personal Trainer and a Post Rehabilitation Exercise Expert (Isn't that a mouthful?l). My continuing education requirements have been fulfilled at a number of organizations and are monitored by AFPA. I keep my Red Cross CPR and First Aid current.

Clients include athletes training for marathons, mountain climbing and general weight loss. In addition I have clients troubled with COPD, Fibromyalgia, and Parkinsons as well as stroke rehab. She was the Strength and Conditioning coach for Williamsburg Aquatic Club, a USA Swim Team, in Williamsburg, Virginia for 3 years.   Karen is presently working at Main Street Gym in Historic St. Charles, Missouri where she teaches Pilates and continues her work with clients. Her training reaches across the country with her long distance Body Restoration eTraining. Her dedication to fitness reaches into the nutritional supplementation with Shaklee products. She only works with clients who add nutritional supplementation to their training. Read more of her story on