Weightlifting & Exercise/Protein Powder

Hi, I am 15, male and want to follow a hypertrophy plan to build muscle
114 lb and about 5'6
Could you suggest some workouts (along with sets + reps)
Thank you greatly in advance

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

Make sure you eat lots of vegetables and meat and fish. Stay away from the grains: bread, pasta, sugar like cakes and candy. Eat cheese if your body can handle it, but otherwise, proteins and vegetables are awesome...lots of vegetables.

Drink water, stay away from soda and any diet kind of foods.

Work abs daily! I have included a video from a spine specialist...it was in the New York Times and is a trusted source. http://www.nytimes.com/video/magazine/1194841000095/core-values.html

If your mom is anything like I was when my boys started lifting she will be afraid of hurting your growth. It takes VERY VERY VERY heavy weight to do that. My concern is more that you will overdo it and hurt your joints, the tendons and cartridge in there.  Be reasonable with the weight...key at your age is food and putting strain on the muscle...but not heavy. You should be doing 10-12 reps...controlled....2-3 sets. The last two should be a struggle but not impossible. You should never wiggle to get the weights to move. That's called breaking form...DO NOT DO THAT. Also, don't let anyone talk you into trying something that is dumb...too heavy....single rep max. That's asking for injury. (Body split and exercises below)

It is a scientific fact that until your body matures....has testosterone going through it enough that you have body hair...arm pits, legs, arms, groin, and maybe chest....there will be a limit on the muscle GROWTH you will get. That doesn't mean you can't do it at this age and get some results. Just don't expect results that are fast. It will be building habits and a healthy body.

Incorporate 2-3 days of cardio. Walk, run, bike, swim. At least 30 minutes.

If you are interested in protein after a workout use a when ISOLATE kind. Take it within 30 minutes of the workout -- it's a drink -- and you must eat a real meal within 60 minutes of having the drink.  Other than that I don't recommend anything more than a multiple vitamin.  Shaklee brand and Solgar are the two I trust.

With workouts. Choose one rest day. Period! Have to recover.

As I said abs every day. http://www.nytimes.com/video/magazine/1194841000095/core-values.html   Don't stretch to warm up. Do a little jump rope, push ups on chest day, pull ups, free standing squats, etc for warm up.  Stretching should be done ONLY AFTER a workout.

One day work chest, bicep, triceps

Back, shoulders

Legs (be sure to do exercises for calf, quads, hamstrings, glutes. That's why you work them alone.  

One week your workout might link like this: remember abs every day!!!!!!
Monday -- cardio chest and arm day.
Tuesday -- back and shoulders
Wednesday -- legs
Thursday -- cardio, chest and arms
Friday -- back and shoulders cardio
Saturday -- legs
Sunday -- Recovery rest!!!!

There is a great web site called Spark People...google it and type in "exercise videos". Because I don't know if or what equipment you have this is a great site. It has gym exercises all the way to body weight stuff with little videos showing you what to do.

Select at least three exercises for each body part.  Then you will do the 10-12 repetitions at least 3 times to start.

Let me know if you have other questions. Follow me at zwlcoaching.com or on Facebook at Karen Sullivan's ZWL Coaching

Good luck! Keep in touch

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan

Get on the inside track with Karen and her daily advice. http://karenfilisullivan.com. Or on FacebookLIKE us at ZWL - Zen of Whole Living I have more than 30 years experience and can help with lifting technique, muscle recovery, weight loss, body building and powerlifting. I've been certified by AFPA as a Personal Trainer and 12 years ago acquired a second certification from the same agency as a Post Rehabilitative Exercise Specialist. Any recommendations or advice rendered are based on fitness information as specified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. Follow my Blog on http://karenfilisullivan.com

Almost 25 years coaching and training. Wow! I feel old. Before that I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter (ask my Chiropractor -- he can tell you). I have trained kids ages 12 to 89. From sports specific training to stroke rehabilitation. I love helping people move more gracefully, powerfully and safely.

A few.

Published in Spring of 2013 The Zen of Weight Loss: A Mindful, Livable Approach to Fitness Get your copy at Square Market. https://squareup.com/market/body-restoration-by-karen/zen-of-weight-loss-in-mo

English with a Journalism concentration was my college education. My training has been with my mentor, Jack Michaels, ACSM and professor at the College of William and Mary. My certifications are with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. AFPA. I hold a certification as a Personal Trainer and a Post Rehabilitation Exercise Expert (Isn't that a mouthful?l). My continuing education requirements have been fulfilled at a number of organizations and are monitored by AFPA. I keep my Red Cross CPR and First Aid current.

Clients include athletes training for marathons, mountain climbing and general weight loss. In addition I have clients troubled with COPD, Fibromyalgia, and Parkinsons as well as stroke rehab. She was the Strength and Conditioning coach for Williamsburg Aquatic Club, a USA Swim Team, in Williamsburg, Virginia for 3 years.   Karen is presently working at Main Street Gym in Historic St. Charles, Missouri where she teaches Pilates and continues her work with clients. Her training reaches across the country with her long distance Body Restoration eTraining. Her dedication to fitness reaches into the nutritional supplementation with Shaklee products. She only works with clients who add nutritional supplementation to their training. Read more of her story on www.shaklee.net/BodyRestoration