Weightlifting & Exercise/Muscles after age 60

I read that males lose maybe l% of muscle mass every year after age 40, or something like that.  Is there anything to counter this without injections or hormones?  I mean anything other than weightlifting.  I do that, along with walking and aerobic exercise.

Hi Carl,

The thing about the loss of muscle after 40 is that most people do lose it, but most people do not try to change that. Jack Lalane was still increasing muscle well into his 70s, and could run circles around a lot of 40 year olds when he was 80.

Weight lifting exercise clean diet are the key, live healthy and keep challenging the body, you will do well. I am 64 years of age  and while there are some things I could do when I was 30 that I may not be able to accomplish now, I know there are plenty of 20 year olds that would have a hard time keeping up with the Old Man.

My physician calls me "low Maintenance, I see him every couple of years.

Get a bike, I found that helps me a lot, I try to get in about 50 miles a week or more, plus do some resistance exercises.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com