Weightlifting & Exercise/Every day or every other day?

Hi Jerry
I am 57. I was unable to run for the last three years while I recovered from arthroscopic surgery on both my knees (I am a slow healer), and I was also heavier than I am now and less energetic. My  knees feel good now, I can run for extended periods without (much) pain-I did a couple test runs. BTW I use a treadmill as its just more conveniant for me. I just purchased a good quality one with a cushioned deck. I think the old cheap one I had before  contributed to my knee issues. Anyhoo, I am tempted to run for 30 minutes on a daily basis. I feel this will speed up the weight loss. My wife says I should run every other day for 45 minutes, so my body has a chance to recover. I feel energetic enough to go every day, but it does seem wiser to have that rest. Also, I do a bit of weight lifting-squats, bench presses-basic stuff, before I run, so maybe I should recover from this too. I am getting older and I dont need more soreness or injuries. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Bud,

When recovering from an injury always err on the side of caution. The last thing you want to do is reinjure yourself. I consider surgery an injury the body has to recover from it.

I agree with your wife, however on the other days I would do some resistance exercise to help strengthen the muscles and aid in recovery. You don't want to go too heavy or too fast and you will want to take one day completely off. so 3 days running, 3 days resistance one day nothing.

If you do training on the opposite days of your running that should make you feel like you are doing something daily, nd it will be more challenging to your body.

You may also consider a stationery bicycle as there is not as much impact on the knees as running. Personally I like a regular bicycle and try to find groups to ride with, but you may find the stationery bike best for you since you like the treadmill.

You may also consider doing the treadmill one day then the stationery bike the next etc.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http;//