Weightlifting & Exercise/Fitting bike.

QUESTION: How does one fit a bike into a Elantra? When I bought my bike the sales person took off the front wheel and just barely fit it into the backseat of my car. I havenít been able to do that since. Is there any good way to get a bike into a car because riding my bike out to the bike paths is kind of dangerous.

Also do front wheels come off on their own often? Until I got my bike I assumes the wheels were well attached to frame. But I guess they are only attached by knobs the pinch it from the sides.

ANSWER: Hi James,

Front and rear wheels often make use of the quick release, which was developed during bicycle racing to make it quicker to change a flat during a race. If quick release is not seated properly then it is somewhat possible that it will come loose. If seated properly there is very little chance of it coming off. The good thing is that it is extremely easy to seat the wheel properly.

If the sales person got your bike in the backseat by removing the front wheel then you should be able to do the same thing. Do you remember if he left the fork straight or turned it toward the bike? It will make the bike a bit shorter if you are able to turn the handlebars around which will turn the fork around. Being able to do this often is dependent on the lengths of the brake and shift cables. With the wheel off you may need to turn it only half way around to get the same effect.

The quick release mechanism is as safe as a bolt on in almost all cases, and is much quicker and easier to use. The quick release mechanism is used on almost all higher end bikes.

You can also take the front and rear wheel off the bike which will allow you to place the frame in the trunk of most cars and the wheels can be laid near the bike in the trunk also.

You can do as most people do and purchase a bicycle rack for the car so you can carry the bike on the car rather than in the car.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

QUESTION: What do bike racks cost and do they work on all vehicles? And is it tough to take the rear wheel off?

Hi James,

I have paid as little as 5.00 at yard sales or auctions for bicycle racks. A good one can run 300.00 or more retail. You can purchase one from places like Harbor freight tools or Wal Mart for 50.00 to 100.00.

If the rear wheel has the quick release mechanism then it is very simple to remove it and place it back on the bike.

Hope this helps,

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com