Weightlifting & Exercise/hip pain when doing squats

Hello, Jerry Goodwin

I feel pain in the front part of my hips when I perform squats. The pain is more acute the deeper I go, and I also feel pain when raising my knee while standing.

How could I fix this and prevent it in the future?

Thank you

Hi Jake,

First thing to do is have that checked out by a qualified physician, I would see if I could find one that specializes in sports medicine. If he/she says all is OK physically then I would find a trainer or someone that can check your form and make sure you are doing the squats correctly. Often pain comes from improper form or from trying to lift too much.

Hope this helps, have a great day.

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com