Weightlifting & Exercise/Treadmill

Question
Greg
I am 58. In fairly good health, but overweight (not obese). Up until five years ago, my favorite exercise was running on my treadmill every day for about 30 minutes, while watching sports on TV. It helped me burn off stress and keep my waist at an acceptable size. Unfortunately, I started to develop pain in both knees, more so the right one, and  had to stop running. Then, along with a new and more stressfull and very sedentary job as a big city bus driver, no exercise, and too many wings and beers, I put on a lot of weight.I have since had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee, and along with strengthening my leg muscles, losing a little weight, and taking glucosamine and vitamin C, I am just lately able to run for long periods with no pain-just like the good old days five years ago! I now  have a newer cushioned treadmill, and very good running shoes. Before I had cheapo shoes and a crappy treadmill, which might have contributed to the knee issue. Today I just finished a 45 minute run and feel great, although I may be a bit stiff tomorrow. Do you think I can  go back to my daily runs, or considering my age and fitness, spread them out to two or three a week? I have more free time now with my job, and would like to use the inactive period before I go to work by exercising. Thanks for your thoughts.

Answer
Barry,

That's great that you are so passionate about running and have kept active after the knee surgery, what dedication. First off you did the right thing with getting a padded treadmill and the proper running shoes, in fact try running on an athletic field or rubber track for the best and safest impact surfaces.
So running is one of those things that is so good for you, but in my opinion (as well as others) so bad for you. Especially in the long term, with all the pounding on your knees, ankles and feet. Be sure to warm up and cooldown, and stretch afterwards as well if you don't already. That way you can decrease the severity of any stiffness that may occur. So to answer your question, if years ago you were running 30 minutes a day and just recently did 45 minutes, I don't see why you cannot continue your running passion. I am a firm believer in listening to your body and if you feel any pain, especially a sharp pain, stop immediately. But just realize that, as I am sure you are well aware, as you get older you have to adjust accordingly. I recommend maybe mixing up your running routine each day, or on alternating days, doing power walking and using the incline feature, so as not to let your body get used to the same routine and to help your body recuperate so you can stay active for the long run. If you don't already try to incorporate resistance training into your routine to maintain strength and bone health later in life. Bicycling is something I enjoy and highly recommend as well. No impact and a great cardio workout. Well Barry I hope I gave you some things to think about, keep up the good work and let me know if I can be of any help in any way. Take care.

Greg

Weightlifting & Exercise

Greg Hoppe