Weightlifting & Exercise/Bikes in rain

Someone left my bike out on the side of the deck that isn't covered and it down poured for the better part of that night. Two days later I rode it and when the chains are moving it has a metal scratching noise every 2 or 3 resolutions but mostly randomly. It rode fine otherwise but what could that noise mean?

Hi James,

Probably means the chain and drivetrain need some lube, probably a good clean and lube for the drivetrain. if the noise appears to be coming from inside the bottom bracket or inside the rear wheel then it may need the bearings repacked, hard to tell for sure without actually seeing the bike.

You may be able to quiet or even eliminate the noise by spraying some wd-40 white lithium into the bottom bracket ( where the pedals are) or wheel (into the axle) but that is a temporary fix, so you may still need to repack or replace the bearings.

The scraping noise is telling you that something is not right, it will need fixed before you go too far. If the suggestions above don't "fix" it, take it to a shop and have them check it out.

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com