Weightlifting & Exercise/boxing/weight loss

Question
Hello Jerry, I'm 36 and I used to weigh about 300. I'm 5'8.

I went on a low-carb diet (less than 25g/day), and I lost about 30 lbs in 6 months. I wasn't satisfied with 270, so I got into cardio boxing. My weight loss goal is 150-160.

I've been doing cardio boxing, plus I eat a balanced diet of mostly proteins and veggies. I limit myself to 40g of carbs a day, except for gym days when I eat a big bowl of organic oatmeal mixed with two tablespoons of organic peanut butter (no added sugar).

Problem is, I seem to have hit a wall at 190. I've been doing cardio boxing for about 18 months now. I've lost 80 more pounds so far, but while I was losing about 1 pound a week before, that's slowed down a lot over the past few months. I still have noticeable weight in my arms, thighs, and my midsection...which is what I'm trying to get rid of now.

Can you please tell me how to accelerate my weight loss again? I've been thinking about hitting the gym 4 days a week, but I know I should be letting my muscles relax and heal on my off days.

Here's a little breakdown of my routine if that helps:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs, 1 quart of water, 3 cups of organic oatmeal with 2 tablespoons organic peanut butter

Lunch: romaine lettuce salad with hard boiled eggs, avocado, bacon, one cup of unflavored greek yogurt, half a quart of water

4 pm snack: two bananas, one cup organic trail mix (no chocolate), half quart of water

Cardio boxing 5:00 - 6:00

Dinner: beef, pork, or chicken, sometimes with a few cups of brown rice; sometimes salad with one of those meats plus avocado, bacon, etc, more water.

Around 8 or 9: pork rinds (zero carbs), yogurt, apples and peanut butter, or another hard boiled egg or two, plus 2-3 mugs of green or chamomile tea with 1 packet of Splenda. This is usually ONE of those food items--not ALL. I change it up from day to day.

Tuesday & Thursday, Saturday & Sunday:
Same foods, minus the oatmeal and bananas.

I completely avoid soda, ice cream, cake, candy, brownies, etc, and I think my diet is pretty good. What can I change to speed up my weight loss and finally get to 150-160?

Do you think I should add a Crossfit routine on Saturdays? I hear great things about it, and there's a Crossfit gym right near my house.

Thanks,
Angie

Answer
Hi Angie,

I would think that crossfit might be good, do make sure you get enough rest though to allow the muscles to recover. The diet looks good, and it appears to be working. It is quite normal for people to lose weight fast for a while while doing a weight loss program then the losses slow down considerably.

The one thing I would do is to purchase a caliper for measuring body fat, and learn how to use it. use the caliper to measure your progress. Scale weight is probably the poorest way there is to determine health of fitness. There are now some "fat" measuring scales and handheld fat monitors that have actually gotten more accurate over the years.

Body Composition is far more important than body weight.

Over the years I have found that just about every client including my wife and myself have hit plateaus, basically we have bonked out and could not get past a certain point in our progress even though we had been having good luck with a program for a while then we just would seem like we couldn't make any more progress. So here is what I did and heartily recommend.

1 Find out where you are right now, use the scale, use the calipers but get a "starting" point.
2. Take a day off, may even two. Eat a Pizza, no exercise, nothing, allow your body and mind to rest, remove as much stress as possible, enjoy yourself, go to a party, go to the park, go dancing, doesn't matter just don't worry about losing weight or working out for at least a full day and don't worry about diet for that day either. You may want to do this every so often to reset your program.
3. Set up a plan ( you seem to have that down pretty well) and begin implementing it.
4. Keep a Log, so you know exactly what is going on, make sure to document everything that may effect your progress, and if you see something that you think needs changing you can change it before it gets out of hand.

You are doing great, Try Crossfit it is not for everyone but a LOT of people just love it and get great results with it.

Hope this helps

Have a great day.

Jerry

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin