Welding/Porosity repair

Skippy wrote at 2011-12-08 23:30:03
When you say cleaned with MEK.  Do you wiped with a rag with MEK on it, or soaking the part in bucket of MEK over night and drying with compressed air.  I've found that soaking to be effective when degreasing an aluminum engine block before welding.

Mary Ellen Foley wrote at 2012-10-24 01:22:09
Have you tried to measure whether there is any magnetism in the steel?  If there is, you might hear “sputtering” of the weld material in the joint, and incomplete fusion of the metal occurs. This leads to a porous weld which leads to a loss of weld quality.

If you still need assistance, we can measure a sample for you, and if there is magnetism, we can demagnetize it for you.

Belinda R. Gattman

Most on welding and fabrication, blueprints, pipefitting, orbital welding. I can give advice on technique and choosing the right rods, process, and material to use. I know a few short cuts to use that may help in different areas. I have helped train new welders and have been welding in the construction industry for 31 years.

I have worked in the construction industry 31 years. I have worked in several environments that would include petrol-chemical, nuclear, pharmaceutical, paper mills, clear room facilities, and much more.

Diploma in Welding Technology - 1976 Augusta Tech. College Diplomas in Industrial Mechanical Control Tech. specializing in Instrumentation Installation and Electrical Installations -2006-Savannah Tech. College. Associates Degree in HVAC - 2006 - Savannah Tech. College