Welding/Recreational Metalworking Classes

I'm interested in taking introductory metalworking classes for recreational/hobby purposes (automotive restoration). The main skills I'm looking to gain are sheet metal hand forming and welding primarily for automotive rust patch replacement. I saw an earlier answer of yours (~2008) saying there really isn't much in the Seattle area for this. Have there been any recent developments or new programs that I can check out? Google searches aren't turning up much.

Thanks for you help and time!

I don't know of any formal classes at any of the tech. colleges in sheet metal free-forming.
The best avenue is going to be learning directly from somebody with a shop.
I do this with welders.
For each hour they help me in my shop I give them an hour of weld training.
Or I charge them $25/hr for classes.

South Seattle has an autobody program, but it is focused on modern autobody which is all pop-rivets, and bondo.

You'll have to find a custom car guy looking to teach on a limited basis.
You will need access to an English wheel and air plannisher.

This could take a little while but I'll bet you can find somebody willing to teach in some capacity.

I would recommend joining the Yahoo group  "Seattle Metalheads"

The metalheads are an amazing collection of 100's metal workers of every possible kind. Machinists, engineers, welders, robotics, casting, metal spinning, blacksmithing, ship building, railroads, aircraft. They can answer questions to great depth about any metal related topic. The only requirement is that you live in the Northwest. Join up and ask your question there.
I know we have a few guys with English wheels in their shops.
I could ask for you but where's the fun in that.

If you want some basic sheet metal welding classes I can handle those for you.

Ernie Leimkuhler

Questions about Oxy-Acetylene welding/cutting, MIG, TIG, Flux-core, Stick welding, brazing and soldering, bike frames, air frames, motorcycle frames, structural welding. Also questions about Welding Certifications and Inspections. All questions about fabrication of metals (stainless steel, steel , aluminum, brass, bronze, copper). Basic questions about underwater welding. TIG is my strongest subject.

Extensive background in most welding fields. 18 years fabrication of metal theatre scenery, 16 years structural steel, 2 years pipe welding, 9 years as a Welding Instructor at South Seattle Community College, and 5.5 years as a Welding Instructor at the Divers Institute of Technology. 16 years Industrial Welding Consultant for fabrication shops in the greater Seattle Area. 11 years Architectural Metal Fabrication. 8 years in Film/TV; SPFX/construction/set-deco/props/. 33 years Blacksmithing and Knifemaking. Currently a Field Welding Inspector for Otto Rosenau and Associates.

American Welding Society - Certified Welding Inspector Washington Assoc of Building Officials (WABO) - Special Inspector - Structural and Reinforcing Steel.

Do a search on google groups for "Ernie Leimkuhler" in the rec.crafts.metalworking and sci.engr.joining.welding groups. Blacksmith's Gazzette - Anvil Making

BA Theatre Technology - Purdue University.