Welding/Recreational Metalworking Classes

Question

I'm interested in taking introductory metalworking classes for recreational/hobby purposes (automotive restoration). The main skills I'm looking to gain are sheet metal hand forming and welding primarily for automotive rust patch replacement. I saw an earlier answer of yours (~2008) saying there really isn't much in the Seattle area for this. Have there been any recent developments or new programs that I can check out? Google searches aren't turning up much.

Thanks for you help and time!

-Andrew

Answer
I don't know of any formal classes at any of the tech. colleges in sheet metal free-forming.
The best avenue is going to be learning directly from somebody with a shop.
I do this with welders.
For each hour they help me in my shop I give them an hour of weld training.
Or I charge them $25/hr for classes.

South Seattle has an autobody program, but it is focused on modern autobody which is all pop-rivets, and bondo.

You'll have to find a custom car guy looking to teach on a limited basis.
You will need access to an English wheel and air plannisher.

This could take a little while but I'll bet you can find somebody willing to teach in some capacity.

I would recommend joining the Yahoo group  "Seattle Metalheads"

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/seattle_metalheads/info

The metalheads are an amazing collection of 100's metal workers of every possible kind. Machinists, engineers, welders, robotics, casting, metal spinning, blacksmithing, ship building, railroads, aircraft. They can answer questions to great depth about any metal related topic. The only requirement is that you live in the Northwest. Join up and ask your question there.
I know we have a few guys with English wheels in their shops.
I could ask for you but where's the fun in that.

If you want some basic sheet metal welding classes I can handle those for you.

Welding

Ernie Leimkuhler