Welding/WABO dualshield

My question concerns the WABO test for dual shield. Do you know what size wire is used for the one inch plate all position test? And what settings should be used for the overhead and vertical welds. Also,for the vertical weld do they allow you to weave the weld or is it primarily stringer welds? Wire speed would be great as well. Thanks,JAMES.

1/16" wire is the most common used for testing, but the code does not specify wire size.
1/16" dual-shield wire is happiest around 23 volts and 200 amps, in all positions.
Adjust your wire speed until you have 200 amps output.

If your machine does not have an ammeter on it, you can use a clamp style ammeter as long as it can read DC amps.

I use an Extech ammeter model MA220

There is nothing in the code about stringers or weaves.
WABO is very very vague.

Individual test proctors can have their own bias, but the code does not tell you much.
Only that you can't have any inclusions in the weld over 1/8".

Also the code says no grinding, but you can have a right angle grinder with a wire wheel on it to clean between passes.  

Ernie Leimkuhler

Questions about Oxy-Acetylene welding/cutting, MIG, TIG, Flux-core, Stick welding, brazing and soldering, bike frames, air frames, motorcycle frames, structural welding. Also questions about Welding Certifications and Inspections. All questions about fabrication of metals (stainless steel, steel , aluminum, brass, bronze, copper). Basic questions about underwater welding. TIG is my strongest subject.

Extensive background in most welding fields. 18 years fabrication of metal theatre scenery, 16 years structural steel, 2 years pipe welding, 9 years as a Welding Instructor at South Seattle Community College, and 5.5 years as a Welding Instructor at the Divers Institute of Technology. 16 years Industrial Welding Consultant for fabrication shops in the greater Seattle Area. 11 years Architectural Metal Fabrication. 8 years in Film/TV; SPFX/construction/set-deco/props/. 33 years Blacksmithing and Knifemaking. Currently a Field Welding Inspector for Otto Rosenau and Associates.

American Welding Society - Certified Welding Inspector Washington Assoc of Building Officials (WABO) - Special Inspector - Structural and Reinforcing Steel.

Do a search on google groups for "Ernie Leimkuhler" in the rec.crafts.metalworking and sci.engr.joining.welding groups. Blacksmith's Gazzette - Anvil Making

BA Theatre Technology - Purdue University.