Westerns/Actor in westerns

Hello Bruce.
Which actor has appeared in the most westerns ? One of the channels over here in GB shows a lot of westerns, Randolph Scott and Jack Elam crop up in many of them, if I had to put money on it I'd go for Jack Elam.

To Mark:

Well, if you were a betting man, you would win on this one. Jack Elam, believe it or not started out in life as an accountant in the Bel Air Hotel. he wound up trading his accounting prowess for movie rolls. His first roll was in a short film called "Trailin West" in 1944 when he was credited as "The Killer". His last role was in 1995 in the TV movie called " Bonanza Under Attack". . He could play grizzled sidekicks or vicious killers with equal competence. He lost his eye at the age of 12 while at Boy Scout camp in a childhood fight. Another boy threw a pencil and it jabbed his eyeball. I personally admired his craft. He played in Gunsmoke 15 times and was Bruce Boxleitner's trapping companion in a 1986 movie called "Down the Long Hills" based on the fine book by Louis L'Amour. I have him in 2 episodes of "The Lone ranger" and three episodes of"The Texan" (Rory Calhoun). He died n 2003 at the age of 82. He was known as a practical joker on the set and had a wonderful rapport with children. He appeared in a total of 205 films.
Randolph Scott was born in 1898 to a wealthy family and was discovered by Howard Hughes who recommended him to Cecil B. DeMille. He later became an acting coach to Gary Cooper, when Cooper played in the movie"The Virginian", He appeared in 105 movies. The first movie he appeared in was " Sharp Shooters" in 1928 and the part he played was an extra as a Foreign Legionnaire. He was definitely a ladies man, though there were rumors when he lived with Cary Grant. His last movie was "Ride the Wild Country" in 1962 and then he retired. a multimillionaire because of shrewd investments. During the final 25 years of his life, he became rather reclusive and avoided the film industry. Randolph Scott died in 1987 in Beverly Hills and was buried back in Charlotte, NC. Randolph Scott was a stoic, stand alone actor, who in his movies was rather aloof. "Seven Men from Now" (1956) is a definitive role in which he plays Sheriff Ben Stride on the track of his wife's killers during a Wells Fargo robbery. Gail Russell and Lee Marvin played supporting roles. Personally I like Randolph Scott with Shirley Temple in "Susanna of the Mounties" (1939)in which he plays Mountie inspector Angus Montague.Scott and fiancee (Margaret Lockwood)take Susanna (Shirley Temple) in after she is orphaned following an Indian attack and she is integral in saving both their lives when they are captured by the Indians in the Canadian West. Randolph Scott could bring levity to his parts, but it was a bit more forced. Jack Elam could bring a comic touch, but it was a bit more natural.
 I hope this answers your question thoroughly. It was a personal joy to help you and if you have any additional questions, I will be glad to help you.

Thanks and take care,

Bruce Simon

I can answer virtually any question concerning TV westerns since 1950. I also have collected Western movies faithfully since 1984 and own several hundred (prominent ones such as High Noon or How the West was Won) as well as B movies and below (White Comanche and The Sundowners)I own rare TV series such as Yancey Derringer,the 13 episodes of Tate with David Maclean, and select episodes of Judge Roy Bean

I have been a Western aficionado since the age of 8 (so for the last 50 years). I have been a faithful collector of Lone Ranger episodes and memorabilia since the early 1970s. I find myself drawn more to the black and white series because I find color an unnecessary plot distraction and love to study the evolution and settlement of the Old West through the leather bound Time-Life series on the West. The principal factor which attracts me to this period is the consistent triumph of virtue over vice. The forces of evil, no matter how malevolent, are never victorious in any Western. So I am appreciative of the inflexible morality set forth in most Western series

I have belonged to 5 different churches in 35 years where I have held posts of Sunday school teacher, outreach leader, and board member. Since my retirement to Rowlesburg, West Virginia, I have held the post of Town Park Commissioner for 2 years and anticipate a position on our Town Council beginning in July.

I was a free lance book reviewer for the Richmond Times Dispatch for 15 years, I reviewed 129 books during this period. I also reviewed 25 books for Style Weekly, an independent publication.

I have a BA in English Literature and a minor in Linguistics from Virginia Commonwealth University. I graduated in 1976. I also had a half year of Bible College from New Life Outreach in Richmond, Virginia (1984-1985)

While employed by the Richmond Public Library for 29 years, I have been honored for outstanding customer service and have received awards for creative programming for Young Adults on 2 occasions.

I am still an expert for the category of mystery fiction on this website.