Westerns/What was the film and who was in it.

Seen on TV many years ago. Two men are besieged in a burning cabin. One is mortally wounded and buries the healthy one in the dirt floor, utilising the chimney from the stove as a breathing pipe to the outside of the cabin, under the wall. The wounded guy eventually gets shot dead by the baddies waiting to "smoke them out", who then wait for the uninjured guy to come out.
 The cabin finally burns down without him emerging, much to their surprise, and the lead baddie stomps around the ashes, stumbling over the end of the "breathing pipe" sticking up out of the dirt, which has had a bean can placed over it by the dead guy to protect the buried guy from inhaling smoke. The bad guy kicks the can in temper, mounts up, and rides off with his gang. Finally, the surviving good guy emerges from the "grave" his dead friend had buried him in and goes after the baddies. I'm sure Rory Calhoun was the good guy, and Cameron Mitchell the bad guy. I saw this film on a black and white TV, so I have no idea if it was in colour. And I saw it during the 70's, but I think it was either a 50's or 60's film.

To Mike:

The movie that I believe that you are looking for is Powder River (1953) and it is in black and white.The plot revolves around Rory Calhoun surviving the death of his prospecting partner when their cabin is besieged by outlaws after their treasure. However Cameron Mitchell (who plays gunman Mitch Hardin) is an ally of Calhoun's especially after Calhoun turns from becoming a prospector to marshal of a nearby town.The villains in question are the notorious Hogan brothers (played by Carl Betz and John Dehner) who obviously are responsible for the original slaying. The love interest is played by Corinne Calvert who is Frenchie Dumont a saloon owner with a questionable past. Rory Calhoun and Cameron Mitchell also played together in one more  film "How to marry a Millionaire" starring Marilyn Monroe.

I hope this information helps you in every way. It has been great trying to answer this question for you.If I can help you further, do not hesitate to write me again.

Take care and be blessed,
Bruce Simon

Bruce Simon

I can answer virtually any question concerning TV westerns since 1950. I also have collected Western movies faithfully since 1984 and own several hundred (prominent ones such as High Noon or How the West was Won) as well as B movies and below (White Comanche and The Sundowners)I own rare TV series such as Yancey Derringer,the 13 episodes of Tate with David Maclean, and select episodes of Judge Roy Bean

I have been a Western aficionado since the age of 8 (so for the last 50 years). I have been a faithful collector of Lone Ranger episodes and memorabilia since the early 1970s. I find myself drawn more to the black and white series because I find color an unnecessary plot distraction and love to study the evolution and settlement of the Old West through the leather bound Time-Life series on the West. The principal factor which attracts me to this period is the consistent triumph of virtue over vice. The forces of evil, no matter how malevolent, are never victorious in any Western. So I am appreciative of the inflexible morality set forth in most Western series

I have belonged to 5 different churches in 35 years where I have held posts of Sunday school teacher, outreach leader, and board member. Since my retirement to Rowlesburg, West Virginia, I have held the post of Town Park Commissioner for 2 years and anticipate a position on our Town Council beginning in July.

I was a free lance book reviewer for the Richmond Times Dispatch for 15 years, I reviewed 129 books during this period. I also reviewed 25 books for Style Weekly, an independent publication.

I have a BA in English Literature and a minor in Linguistics from Virginia Commonwealth University. I graduated in 1976. I also had a half year of Bible College from New Life Outreach in Richmond, Virginia (1984-1985)

While employed by the Richmond Public Library for 29 years, I have been honored for outstanding customer service and have received awards for creative programming for Young Adults on 2 occasions.

I am still an expert for the category of mystery fiction on this website.