Westerns/unknown western movie

Question
When I was a kid in the 1960s I saw a western movie on TV.  At the end of the movie a man was tied to a stake and I believe disemboweled by an indian.  He cried in agony for several minutes.  Then another man took a single cartridge that he wore around his neck(in a pouch), and put the man out of his misery.  He then stated "no man deserves to die like that, not even him".  I do not know the name of the movie or the actors.  I was about ten years old an my memory may be hazy.  I have trying to find the name of this picture for years.  Thank you.

Answer
Dear Mark:

Thank you for giving me this question> I think that i have a possible answer for you. After doing much research, I believe that the film you are looking for may be "Duel at Diablo" (1966). Dennis Weaver is the particularly nasty villain in this one. I am enclosing a synopsis for you which may refresh your memory. This movie does revolve around revenge and the retribution for extreme wrongdoing and brutality.

While crossing the desert, a frontier scout, Jess Remsberg (James Garner), rescues Ellen Grange (Bibi Andersson) from a pursuing band of Apaches, and returns her to her husband, Willard Grange (Dennis Weaver). The couple have been on the move since two years before, when Ellen Grange had been kidnapped by Apaches and rescued. The townsfolk treated her as an outcast because, in captivity, she had a child by an Indian warrior.

Jess is searching for the murderers of his Comanche wife. He travels to Fort Concho to obtain information from the town marshal. On the way there, he is contracted to act as a scout for an Army cavalry unit of twenty-five inexperienced soldiers bringing horses, ammunition, and supplies to the fort. Willard, Ellen, and her infant son are along for the ride, as is horse breaker Toller (Sidney Poitier), a veteran of the 10th Cavalry (the "Buffalo Soldiers"). As Toller was contracted to provide broken horses suitable for riding, he is paid only for the horses already broken and will accompany the party breaking his horses on the way. The commander of the detachment, Lt. "Scotty" McAllister, a highly experienced former sergeant, will give Toller receipts to be paid at Fort Concho.

The party is trapped in a canyon by Chata (John Hoyt), an Apache chief and grandfather of Ellen's baby. Willard is captured and tortured mercilessly. Jess sneaks away and brings reinforcements from the fort just in time to save the day. At the fort, Jess had learned that the man he has been hunting is none other than Willard Grange, out for revenge for what was done to his wife. He finds Willard, tied to a wagon wheel and barely alive. When Willard begs him to put him out of his misery, Jess gives him his pistol and leaves.

In closing, I truly hope that this movie is the elusive film which you have been searching for. It has been my pleasure to help you and if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact me again.

Have a good day and be blessed,
Bruce Simon  

Westerns

Bruce Simon