Westerns/Old Western Wagon Train Movie I can't find

Hi!  I have been looking fruitlessly for an true old western movie about a wagon train that I remember watching in my teens/early 20's--and that was "some" years ago--haha!!.  What I remember:  It was in color; I think it would have to have been made after 1950-1960--it had decent acting and sound, not like the really old b/w fast forward movies; this was about a wagon train going across the country with many wagons; great filming/photography---they suffered Indian attacks, river crossings; having to lower people, cattle, wagons down vertical canyon walls;  at one point a woman whose husband was falling in love with another woman in the wagon train went bonkers and cut the rope lowering people and wagons; then it showed her later in a small shack on the plains and the Indians wouldn't go near her or harass her because she was nuts.  I cannot remember any of the starring actors.  Can you help me find this movie please??  :)

Dear Lori:

I am sorry I am just getting back to you but my compute has been down. After tirelessly researching your question, I think that I may have a possible answer.There was a movie called "The Way West" produced in 1967 and directed by Victor McLaglen. The element of jealousy figures into the plot of this sprawling blockbuster.
From a year that produced such groundbreaking "New Hollywood" films as Bonnie & Clyde and The Graduate, Andrew V. McLaglen's The Way West is an old-fashioned western--grandly shot on location by William Clothier--that did for Oregon what John Ford did for Monument Valley. Based on A.B. Guthrie, Jr.'s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, The Way West stars a steely Kirk Douglas as widowed senator William J. Tadlock, who is determined to "plant a new Jerusalem in the Oregon wilderness." Robert Mitchum costars as Dick Summers, a weary and grieving scout whom Tadlock persuades to help him lead the disparate group of "greenhorn storekeepers and tenderfoot farmers." A lively Richard Widmark also stars as restless Pennsylvania farmer Lije Evans, who's "got to go where I've not been." Traditional western action, including disastrous river crossings and Indian encounters, takes a backseat to the sudsy human dramas. Tadlock is a stern taskmaster who drives the settlers as mercilessly as John Wayne drove those cattle in Red River. At one point, he even makes a play for Evans' wife (Lola Albright). Sally Field makes a memorable screen debut as sexually precocious Mercy, "all hellfire and sin," and who seduces a newly married man whose wife refuses to consummate their marriage. Throw in the accidental shooting of an Indian boy, plus such welcome faces as Jack Elam and Stubby Kaye, and you have an epic adventure that western buffs will follow all the Way.

I hope this will help you in your find. Again I convey my apology due  to circumstances beyond my control. If I can help you further, do not hesitate to contact me again.

Be richly blessed,
Bruce Simon  

Bruce Simon

I can answer virtually any question concerning TV westerns since 1950. I also have collected Western movies faithfully since 1984 and own several hundred (prominent ones such as High Noon or How the West was Won) as well as B movies and below (White Comanche and The Sundowners)I own rare TV series such as Yancey Derringer,the 13 episodes of Tate with David Maclean, and select episodes of Judge Roy Bean

I have been a Western aficionado since the age of 8 (so for the last 50 years). I have been a faithful collector of Lone Ranger episodes and memorabilia since the early 1970s. I find myself drawn more to the black and white series because I find color an unnecessary plot distraction and love to study the evolution and settlement of the Old West through the leather bound Time-Life series on the West. The principal factor which attracts me to this period is the consistent triumph of virtue over vice. The forces of evil, no matter how malevolent, are never victorious in any Western. So I am appreciative of the inflexible morality set forth in most Western series

I have belonged to 5 different churches in 35 years where I have held posts of Sunday school teacher, outreach leader, and board member. Since my retirement to Rowlesburg, West Virginia, I have held the post of Town Park Commissioner for 2 years and anticipate a position on our Town Council beginning in July.

I was a free lance book reviewer for the Richmond Times Dispatch for 15 years, I reviewed 129 books during this period. I also reviewed 25 books for Style Weekly, an independent publication.

I have a BA in English Literature and a minor in Linguistics from Virginia Commonwealth University. I graduated in 1976. I also had a half year of Bible College from New Life Outreach in Richmond, Virginia (1984-1985)

While employed by the Richmond Public Library for 29 years, I have been honored for outstanding customer service and have received awards for creative programming for Young Adults on 2 occasions.

I am still an expert for the category of mystery fiction on this website.