Westerns/vague movie scene from 60's or before

Hi Mr. Simon,

As a kid growing up in the 60's, I remember watching a Western movie that is etched in my brain but I cannot figure out the name of the movie.  Do you by chance know what the name might be and when it was made?

I remember that the was a race against time that showed a shadow that was moving and an Indian? was racing to save his girl.  He had to beat the shadow as she was going to be shot with an arrow if he did not win.  He was running across a big rock mesa and at the last second he dove in front of the arrow and got shot himself to save her.
  I seem to remember molten gold with the shadow or maybe the molten gold was the timing device he had to beat.

My memory of this is so fuzzy that any of the facts above could be different.  It could have been a cowboy running to save his sister but I do remember he had to get to the spot and beat the arrow being shot.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.  This scene has been in my brain for a long time and will not go away.  Maybe from another life I wonder.  Hahaha!

My best,

Dear David:

First of all i would like to apologize for taking so long to get back with you. My computer has been inoperable until recently so i had no viable means to communicate with you.And i do humbly ask your forgiveness for whatever inconvenience I caused you. The movie which comes close to the description which you gave me is a truly violent Spaghetti western called Django 2 starring Franco Nero or Django Rides Again (1967) A surreal Western and unofficial Django film, though in reality it is related to Corbucci’s film only in name. The film is intentionally closer to a gothic horror movie than a Western, born of the fact that director Giulio Questi had no real love of the genre. The film begins with Django crawling out of a mass grave, and has a recurrent fascination with images of gold. In one startling sequence a man is shot with gold bullets and then torn apart by people with their bare hands trying to dig out the nuggets. In another, one of the villains gets molten gold poured over his face after it melts during a fire. In this movie, molten gold is a pivotal plot element (pardon the pun)and this may connect with the scene which you are remembering.

I hope this answer helps you and I am again sorry for the time duration but this was a circumstance I could not help.

Thank you in advance for your understanding,
 Be blessed,
 Bruce Simon  

Bruce Simon

I can answer virtually any question concerning TV westerns since 1950. I also have collected Western movies faithfully since 1984 and own several hundred (prominent ones such as High Noon or How the West was Won) as well as B movies and below (White Comanche and The Sundowners)I own rare TV series such as Yancey Derringer,the 13 episodes of Tate with David Maclean, and select episodes of Judge Roy Bean

I have been a Western aficionado since the age of 8 (so for the last 50 years). I have been a faithful collector of Lone Ranger episodes and memorabilia since the early 1970s. I find myself drawn more to the black and white series because I find color an unnecessary plot distraction and love to study the evolution and settlement of the Old West through the leather bound Time-Life series on the West. The principal factor which attracts me to this period is the consistent triumph of virtue over vice. The forces of evil, no matter how malevolent, are never victorious in any Western. So I am appreciative of the inflexible morality set forth in most Western series

I have belonged to 5 different churches in 35 years where I have held posts of Sunday school teacher, outreach leader, and board member. Since my retirement to Rowlesburg, West Virginia, I have held the post of Town Park Commissioner for 2 years and anticipate a position on our Town Council beginning in July.

I was a free lance book reviewer for the Richmond Times Dispatch for 15 years, I reviewed 129 books during this period. I also reviewed 25 books for Style Weekly, an independent publication.

I have a BA in English Literature and a minor in Linguistics from Virginia Commonwealth University. I graduated in 1976. I also had a half year of Bible College from New Life Outreach in Richmond, Virginia (1984-1985)

While employed by the Richmond Public Library for 29 years, I have been honored for outstanding customer service and have received awards for creative programming for Young Adults on 2 occasions.

I am still an expert for the category of mystery fiction on this website.