Westerns/finding a movie

When I was young I used to watch a show on Saturday morning featuring western movies. There was a movie about men logging on a mountain and as they were driving their loaded trucks down the mountain they were forced off the road by an approaching vehicle. As it turned out their enemies where using mirrors to cause them to crash. I really enjoyed this movie and I hope you can help me. Thanks, Jim

Dear Jim:

After a combination of wracking my brain and doing some research, I have come up with two possible movies both of which involve logging as the main plot.

The first one is called Timberjack (1955) Tim Shipman returns to his father's logging company only to find his father has been killed, money is owed, and Croft Brunner controls the railroad used to haul out the logs. But he learns the Government restriction on his valuable stand of timber has been lifted. Brunner wants that timber and tries to buy him out. Refusing to sell, Tim makes plans to somehow get the timber out. the stars were Sterling Hayden, David Brian,Adolphe Monjou, Vera Ralston,Chills Wills and Hoagy Carmaichel.

The second movie is called  RIVER LADY (‘48 Universal International) Domineering Yvonne De Carlo’s logging syndicate, with her front man, Dan Duryea, is trying to squeeze all the small loggers out of business and monopolize the industry. Lumberjack Cameron and Duryea are rivals for the affections of De Carlo, who prefers Cameron. After much plotting and machinations by De Carlo she eventually realizes her ambitions have defeated her with Cameron’s affections. This was Cameron’s last film on his Universal contract; therefore they gave him, as star of the picture, third billing behind De Carlo and even Duryea to whom they were giving the buildup. Technicolor.

Out of the two, I like Timberjack as the best possible choice. But that is just an intuitive choice on my part.

I hope this does answer your question. if you have any additional information, do not hesitate to write me has been a personal joy trying to help you in your quest.

Take care and God bless you,

Bruce Simon

I can answer virtually any question concerning TV westerns since 1950. I also have collected Western movies faithfully since 1984 and own several hundred (prominent ones such as High Noon or How the West was Won) as well as B movies and below (White Comanche and The Sundowners)I own rare TV series such as Yancey Derringer,the 13 episodes of Tate with David Maclean, and select episodes of Judge Roy Bean

I have been a Western aficionado since the age of 8 (so for the last 50 years). I have been a faithful collector of Lone Ranger episodes and memorabilia since the early 1970s. I find myself drawn more to the black and white series because I find color an unnecessary plot distraction and love to study the evolution and settlement of the Old West through the leather bound Time-Life series on the West. The principal factor which attracts me to this period is the consistent triumph of virtue over vice. The forces of evil, no matter how malevolent, are never victorious in any Western. So I am appreciative of the inflexible morality set forth in most Western series

I have belonged to 5 different churches in 35 years where I have held posts of Sunday school teacher, outreach leader, and board member. Since my retirement to Rowlesburg, West Virginia, I have held the post of Town Park Commissioner for 2 years and anticipate a position on our Town Council beginning in July.

I was a free lance book reviewer for the Richmond Times Dispatch for 15 years, I reviewed 129 books during this period. I also reviewed 25 books for Style Weekly, an independent publication.

I have a BA in English Literature and a minor in Linguistics from Virginia Commonwealth University. I graduated in 1976. I also had a half year of Bible College from New Life Outreach in Richmond, Virginia (1984-1985)

While employed by the Richmond Public Library for 29 years, I have been honored for outstanding customer service and have received awards for creative programming for Young Adults on 2 occasions.

I am still an expert for the category of mystery fiction on this website.