Wild Animals/panther's cry (scream)

Pippa wrote at 2008-05-12 01:09:02
I live in North Carolina. The animal you heard was most likely a bobcat. Several years ago in the early spring my teenage nephew and I were heading off around 4 am and we heard what he describes as the "sound of a woman's arm being torn off". I called my husband who said he thought it was an owl, and that he'd been hearing it as he ran in the very early mornings for several days. I heard the sound again the next day, and I ran through the woods, hoping to see the owl. The noise stopped and the only thing I saw was a glimpse of a yellow colored "cat" which I thought had disturbed the owl and ruined my viewing. Several mornings later, around 6 am I was standing in the kitchen looking out across our back pasture. Some of our chickens (who stayed locked up at night) wandered into view and I realized that we had left the door to their house open. Suddenly they began to run and I saw what I thought was a small dog chasing them. I raced through the yard and vaulted the fence yelling at the "dog". Once in the pasture, I realized that the "dog" was a red fox. He stopped and was staring at me and holding one of my favorite buff orpington hens in his mouth. "Drop it!" I snarled. He looked at me and I could see that he was trying to decide if he could make a run for it with the hen, I stamped my foot, he dropped the hen (who flopped around squawking) and took off under the back gate. I'm glad to report that the hen lived and did well:) Anyway, I went about my chores- occasionally going to the back gate (which affords a view along a power easement into another pasture)to dump manure on our muck pile. As I stood at the gate on one of these trips I looked across the pasture wishing to see the fox, and there he was! He trotted across the pasture (this is about 1/4 mile off) as I watched, I saw another "golden colored fox" a little larger, trot into view on the slope above him- the red fox then went over to the "golden fox" and nipped at his heels- at that point the "golden fox" screamed in that familiar woman getting her arm ripped off way, and I realized that it was a bobcat (it had only a short tail and was slightly larger than the fox)! As I watched the bobcat was harassed and nipped at by the fox until they both moved out of sight. I heard the noise again on several occasions and one time I again ran through the woods and managed to see the bobcat jump onto a downed tree and walk up it- and as I watched the red fox leapt up after it, again nipping at his heels! Within a few weeks the bobcat sounds stopped, and I only caught sight of it those three times. I have often wondered why the fox was chasing the bobcat. Was it defending territory, or trying to make a meal? Last spring I was out riding across a farm located in a very remote area and heard that distinctive scream- but once the bobcat heard our horses hooves it was gone.

Julie wrote at 2009-07-03 05:47:46
The animal I  heard in the 1970's had a woman's scream (we thought it was a woman).  It was loud enough for our neighbors 1/2 mile away to also hear.  It made the dogs shiver.  The oldtimers said that the panthers were breeding.

Mike wrote at 2009-11-06 15:55:32
I also live in North Carolina outside of Clayton. Prior to about 2 years ago, we had a lot of squirrels, rabbits, foxes, deer, possum and an outdoor cat. About 1 to 2 years ago I started seeing large paw prints (over 5 inches across) around my house, in the fields out back and around a pond in the woods nearby. One of my lawn chair cushions was blown onto the ground, and when I went to pick it up it was torn with parallel cuts about 6 inches long through the heavy outdoor fabric. The spacing looked like it was about the same size as the paw prints I had seen. I never heard any screems or saw the animal making the tracks. I did try to look up on line what could make the tracks and the only thing that I could find with the right paw configuration and size that lives in North Carolina was a mountain lion, but these are not supposed to live around Clayton. By about 1 year ago we no longer saw any outdoor wildlife except birds. About that time I also stopped seeing the tracks. Now, all of the wildlife has come back (though not as many rabbits a before). Just last night I heard a long continuous sound like a woman screaming, without stopping for a breath for maybe 10 or 15 seconds. This repeated a few times. I have not gone looking for, or seen any tracks yet, but I guess that the large cat is back. I do not know for sure what kind of cat it is, but it cannot be a fox, and it seems to big for a bobcat.

reba wrote at 2016-06-13 03:41:40
i live in Alabama and I have seen a black panther 3 times in my life here. I have also seen a brown mt lion near where I live. so if they are here in bama then believe me they can be in nc or sc. etc. the panthers do sound like a woman or child screaming at high pitch. a lot louder then a fox  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright