Wild Animals/Buried animal poop

Bernice Cummings wrote at 2009-01-27 20:02:51
I have the same problem, different animal though. IT leaves a hard, rock like poop; but puffs up the  pine straw.  It must have an odor because the dog goes right for it.  I live at the end of our retention area which is usually quite wet..any ideas what animal might be visiting? ac

rlynns66 wrote at 2009-04-19 18:29:18
We live in the hills in California, in our backyard this morning I found the same thing.

It was a light brown color and covered, I was able to see the paw prints. They were pretty large prints,larger than a regular cat.

Curious wrote at 2010-01-09 16:24:10
I live in Florida near a wildlife preserve and my dog also enjoys seeking out those interesting piles. I have found both a thin, dark, harder excrement and the lighter, softer, more "orangy" kind, only in a smaller size than the first poster. They are in pine straw piles and also dead leaves, and dried cut grass. I have seen deer and black bears around, along with their tracks, but will now look for more "cat-like" prints. I know at one time we had bobcats, panthers and the like in the preserve, but I haven't seen any in years. There are lots of feral cats in the area, but this is much larger than that.  

Angeline wrote at 2011-10-18 01:27:21
I am seeing the same thing in a sandy wooded empty lot here in my neighborhood in Lower Alabama. When walking my dogs in the vacant lot near my home I have come across several small mounds scattered around the lot. My dog unearthed one and it was animal poop. I can make out that the animal has 3 "fingers/claws."  I assume it is an armadillo since they are quite a nuisence in our neighborhood. Not sure if you can find armadillos in Georgia. But if so, you will see other damage from them such as holes angled into your pine straw.

Angeline  

THOMAS wrote at 2012-12-27 02:34:23
FROM SOUTHERN OHIO..I HAVE SAME PROBLEM,,LARGE PILES COVERED IN GRAVEL ???? I AM IN PROCESS OF TRAPPING....TOO BIG FOR CAT  IN FOREST AREA COULD BE BOBCAT OR ????

Judy Ant wrote at 2013-04-13 14:44:22
We live in the country in North Texas and have found the same neatly covered piles of poop.  The last one was buried in a sandy area, a perfectly symmetrical mound containing a piece about 5 inches long and 1.25 inches in diameter - that is no house cat.  The funny thing was, we could see clear claw marks in the sand  where it had dug and mounded the sand, but they were very blunt, so we didn't think it was a bobcat.  Are bobcat claws that blunt?

Paul wrote at 2015-07-26 21:17:02
I live in the pittsburgh area and am experiencing the same thing in my lawn. where the scat is covered with a pile of grass straw.

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.