Wild Animals/baby moles

Heidi wrote at 2013-09-23 00:32:51
Hello Mia~

I have been trained in caring for small rodents by a good friend who is a wildlife rehab specialist. I currently have a baby mole that my dog just found while we were camping. To get through the weekend, i fed it hemp milk through an eye dropper that was in a face oil bottle I had. That was all I had but he did great. I put him in a kleenex and kept him in my sports bra to keep him safe/warm. We tried finding a fresh mole hole, but he crawled out every time...so after 3 times, I picked him up and back in my sports bra he went.

So we are now home and I just got his temporary home set up until he grows enough to release. I used an old 10gal fish tank, filled it about 4" with soft fresh dirt that was actually  recently dug up by native moles in my yard. I added one clump of native grass. He can't keep himself warm alone, and even from raising multiple orphan chipmunks/squirrel babies, they need a heating pad to keep them warm. So on one side of the fish tank on top of the dirt, I put a washcloth (to keep the heating pad clean), then folded the heating pad (lowest heat, crease towards the end of tank so the baby can crawl into it and out to the dirt/grass).

Yes he needs to eat often... this little guy is every 2 hrs. You can get puppy or kitten formula but dilute it 4:1 instead of the 2:1 for a puppy/kitten. A small paint brush works great for feeding it. Dip the paintbrush into the warm formula. It will kindof chew on the brush and suck out the milk. My little guy will only drink 3 brushes full right now, but he's tiny and barely has his eyes open.

I expect to have him a few weeks, then hope to let him go before the ground freezes.

Also, when they get a little bigger, they will eat mealworms- which you can buy off Amazon and get mailed to you or get at most pet stores.

Hope this helps- best of luck.

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I'm an evolutionary biologist with a passion for animals. Ask about natural history, behavior, ecology, evolution. PLEASE NOTE:

If you have found an "orphaned" or injured wild animal or bird:
Please don't waste time asking questions on the internet, as the answers may come too late. DO NOT FEED THE ANIMAL, and DO NOT HANDLE IT unless it is in imminent danger. (Many wild "orphans" are not orphans at all!) If you are absolutely sure it is orphaned, keep it warm and quiet, and find a LICENSED WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR HERE. Don't try to raise a baby yourself, or rehabilitate an injured anmal. Many a well-intentioned rescuer will do more harm than good, especially with baby birds and baby rabbits.

Without geographic location, time of day and habitat, I can't help. A clear picture is always best.

It's impossible for me to I.D. an animal call without hearing it myself.

I'm not an expert on comparative strengths of different animals (more complicated than you might think!) nor bite forces.

I refuse to answer "Which of these two animals--X or X--would win in a fight?".

These hypothetical matchups range from impossible (Grizzly Bears and Gorillas don't even occupy the same continent.) to ridiculous (Someone asked me "Who would win a fight between a Great White Shark and a tiger?").

The vast majority of animals--even the fierce and powerful--are not as warlike as Homo sapiens, and it's childish to project our aggressiveness onto them.

I have been the fortunate caregiver to a group of Black-tailed Jackrabbits rescued from the Miami International Airport, and not releasable in this area because they are not native. I also have rehabbed and released Eastern Cottontails, and am in contact with many very experienced wildlife rescuers who regularly handle injured or orphaned rabbits and hares.

House Rabbit Society

Exotic DVM journal

I have a Ph.D. in Biology, with main areas of expertise in evolutionary biology, genetics, botany, and ecology.