Wild Animals/what killed my feral cat

songbird wrote at 2010-01-06 23:16:19
I am currently searching for something killing and or wounding almost all of my cats on my farm and the neighbors farm.  It is biting the necks and and feet.  They end up with terrible infections but those that survive until I find them have been treated with amoxicillin and locked up in the barn, sheds, garage or even in the house.  But it is a continual battle.  The neighbor cats are being killed off one by one.  I found a half-grown cat in a box of straw dead.  It had a mass of blood by it's neck and all of the intestines and organs were eaten.  It had been dead about 6 or 8 hours I think.  The second cat was found the same way.  It was freezing in the barn and found limp yet. Near that same box.  My husband and I have been raking our brains.  I found possum tracks and raccoon tracks and another track yet to be identified.  We now are suspecting it is a mink.  We have set a live trap several places with no luck.  We cat a cat door to our barn.  We put all the cats inside and rigged it to the entrance of that door.  No luck. I understand minks are killing machines and kill and wound for the heck of it.  They are also lazy eaters and go for the softest flesh first.

I Live in Northern Indiana and have not heard nor seen any mink in these parts.  The other neighbors a mile away have said there is something killing the chickens it only eats the heads off. (But that is contrary to the soft meat info of mink habits.)  Any info is appreciated!

steph wrote at 2015-08-21 00:47:46
might have been a fox. they are known to kill chickens even when they are not hungry enough to eat them. probably, your cat was killed quickly before it even knew what was happening

woodsboy wrote at 2015-08-28 18:47:42
As a general rule coyotes tear their prey apart at the kill site and leave pieces laying all around, byt bobcats, lynx and even mountain lions, move their prey to a secluded location nearby, strip away the fur and feed. Then they move the remains to another location to cache it for later feeding. I have no info on Fisher kills, but it sounds like dogs or coyotes killed your cat...

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.