Wild Animals/Jaguarundi/ Florida Panther

Kevin wrote at 2008-08-19 23:39:37

From the description it sounds like a Puma, or Florida Panther. Some Florida panthers have recessive genes which show up when there is too much inbreeding. Albinism (pure white), melanism (black) and retained juuvenile spots are the commonest mutations.

Where I live just south of me in New Brunswick there are lots(enough) of sightings of the Eastern Cougar.

Frankie wrote at 2008-09-26 13:12:37
I too have seen what I guessed to be a large black cat as big as a panther close to my home in a bluff area of Juno Beach, Florida.  It may sound strange, because there is hardly any land left here but I was driving down a dirt road behind the school where I teach and the cat crossed the road in front of me in a flash.  I was close enough to see it fairly clearly.

John wrote at 2008-12-23 20:26:02
Several years ago I also saw a very large brown cat crossing hwy 19 in the Ocala forest near the barge canal.

Jane wrote at 2009-10-30 00:49:26
Just a couple months ago my husband and I were driving just past dusk on a rural county road of the Ocala National forest between Altoona and Ocala and saw a large black silhouette in the head-lights of the car.  Turning around we only saw large yellow-green glowing eyes! Being dark out he disappeared, left.

Vicki wrote at 2012-12-17 21:08:44
I am in Collier/Seminole StatePark and I believe I saw a Jaguarundi. Black,long tail,feline head and I asked a Park Ranger and he is the one to say it was a Jag. Sorry I did not have camera phone as I was on my bike. Very exciting! 12/16/2012

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.