Wild Animals/Squirrels

Heart 4 Animals wrote at 2012-10-02 04:37:18
Our cat attacked a young squirrel today.  The squirrel's neck seemed to be broken but it was still alive.  When the mother found her baby she was clearly devastated.  She ran up to her nest & could be heard "crying".  It was a very different sound from the usual warning sounds when a predator was nearby.  We believe she was mourning the inevitable loss of her baby even though it hadn't yet died.  I took the baby squirrel, who was clearly suffering, to our local animerge to be put to sleep.  

Melissa wrote at 2015-07-31 15:48:30
I heard a squirrel quacking like a duck this afternoon and, looking up, I noticed it appeared very agitated. Then, just ahead, I saw a dead baby squrrel lying on the path. It had blood around its neck, but I didn't inspect it too closely. I thought maybe the mother wanted to mourn it but  couldnt do so because of the exposed position it was in, with many passers by.  So I picked it up by the tail and laid it at the foot of the tree she was in, out of sight. As I walked on I eventually heard the quacking stop. When I returned home I saw that the baby squirrel had gone. I personally think she took it and engaged in some kind of mourning process.

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.