Wild Animals/big cats

Gempob wrote at 2013-10-04 20:41:52
I have just been to Maspalomas and have also seen a huge black cat! Me and my husband were walking in the sand dunes around half 8 in the evening when we suddenly saw a black shadow. At first we thought it was someone else walking but it seemed to be gliding very quickly. As it got closer we saw it was a huge cat shaped creature moving very fast towards us. Both me and my husband saw the exact same thing. It suddenly changed course away from us and both me and my husband took the opportunity to get out of there quickly. We thought we would do an internet search to see if anyone else had seen the same thing but could only come across your post. Glad to see we weren´t dreaming.  

Mr A wrote at 2015-08-04 06:28:46
We just saw a large pale coloured cat behind our hotel in Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria. This was the size of a LARGE dog. Definately not a feral domestic cat. Sorry but this was around midnight and so no pictures. We watched it for around 2 minites and it seemed to be on the prowl hunting. We had saw a goat the day before and this was at least as big. Not sure of the colour as it was lit by the Towns lights. This was up on the scrub land behind the Carlota hotel. Has anyone else seen this type of animal?

MrsO wrote at 2016-08-27 21:45:37
My friend and I stayed near Playa de Amadores, Near Puerto Rico in 2003 I think. We had a HUGE black cat watching us from the flat roof of an apartment slightly below ours. We were rushing out to catch a boat trip we'd already paid for, so didn't think to take a photo but we were terrified running past the cat. Just sorting through photo albums and thought I'd google it! We thought we were being ridiculous but now wonder if we were right to be terrified!

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.