Wild Animals/Big Black Cat

Tony wrote at 2011-03-02 03:14:18
I was walking my dog this evening in my back yard, Say 9:45 pm . This very large very silent cat speed by absolutely no noise. Height is a estimate say lower thigh high.  It was a big cat not fat. It was on the run I just happened to be on the right spot. It startled me shortly there after the across the street neighbors dogs started to bark and motion detector light was lit. I cannot correlate one event with the other. It was almost as a specter in the night. distance from me perhaps ten to 15 feet. i was startled. I saw no eyes but would not have as I was perpendicular to it.  My question there is a wooded area near here.  Have these cats been seen  in this area more recently than 2009 as Debi Saw in the previous post. i live in Pasco County off Trouble Creek road on the west side of US 19.  

Deb wrote at 2014-11-22 05:08:23
There are acctually black panthers just as there are black jaguars and jaguarundi and "some" of these black cats if viewed up close will not be solid black, under the black coat you may see brown. What you saw was likely either a jaguarundi or panther, in either case to spot a black one would be very rare.

In a state park in north Florida, twice I too saw a large cat as you described. The first time I saw this cat was during the day driving down A1A sitting in the entrance to a side road and it stood out like a sore thumb against the lite colored sand but I was pulling a trailer and unable to turn around and go back for another look. The second time near the same location but on a back road and I was only going about 15 MPH, in the early morning before daylight, the cat lept across the road right in front me, I was driving a firebird and, tail and all it was longer than my car and would have stood about three feet tall, This large cat I saw was either the Florida Panther or the Jaguarundi. Because of the wedge shaped head, I believe the cat I saw to be a jaguarundi. It is not know for sure when the jaguarundi was introduced to florida but there have been reported sitings since the early 20th century.  The story I was told is that they were imported by the plantation owners from South America for rodent control. Either a black panther or jaguarundi in Florida would be a rare siting and you would be one of the very few and fortenant people to have ever seen one. I spoke to the park officals who said there had been sitings of the cat before but no one had ever been able to document the siting with a photo and paw print.

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright