Wild Animals/ring tailed cat

mac wrote at 2011-01-27 21:19:36
if it helps. There are pictures of cats here in Alabama with ring tails, wide furry paws, and whitish fur. They favor a Scotish Wildcat, and bobcat mixed.

OldProf wrote at 2011-05-26 00:25:14
Don't feel like you are a nut.  Yesterday evening just at dust I saw a Ringtail cat walk across my patio.  I opened the door and it just looked at me, then walked off.  I had no idea what it was till I looked it up today.  The day before something had destroyed a ducks nest which was under a rose bush in my back yard.  Eggs were all broken and scattered around.  

Sonya Van Duker wrote at 2012-08-26 02:51:51
We saw the saw thing in our yard in MN.  Can't figure out what it is. Tried to get pictures but didn't turn out  

Victoria wrote at 2012-10-27 20:58:10
I stumbled across this question while researching what I saw today. My daughter & I feel absolutely certain we saw a ringtail at the reservoir in Wiggins, Mississippi! It was standing in the road, & at first I thought it was a squirrel with an abnormally long tail. Then it crossed in front of us & scurried up a tree. I got out trying to take a picture of it, but it wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a good shot! The animal appeared to be a very large squirrel with a striped tail about the length of it's body. As the animal crossed in front of us, we could see it had white on it's face. I can find no animal matching that description which is indigenous to south Mississippi, so I can only imagine it was someone's pet at some point.

DMooney wrote at 2013-10-21 19:12:07
Saw an animal just like you described!! I too was trying to figure out what it was...long body, longer than any house catI've seen and long ringed tail... golden/buff in color.  The ring tailed cats I've seen pictures of don't really fit color-wise or size-wise.  I live just south of Birmingham, AL and saw it in a wooded creek area behind my house.  Hoping I will see it again and get a picture.

Claudia wrote at 2013-10-26 23:00:33
A week ago, my chicken coop was attacked by something (thought it was the dog next door who I saw snooping around later that day).  Whatever it was got one of my three chickens and the other two fled the coop and were cowering in the bushes by the fence in my backyard.  Today I heard my chickens squawking, looked out the window and saw a buff/golden something with a long ringed tail looking in the run.  I ran out with my pellet pistol and as it turned around and looked at me, I'm pretty sure it had tuffed ears and was about three times the size of a house cat.  I shot at it with my pellet gun and it ran into the bushes and jumped back over the fence out of my yard.  I live in an urban are of Nashville, TN

Wayne wrote at 2015-09-05 19:25:15
I'm an old timer who began visiting honey island swamp in the 60s.  There certainly are ring tailed cats in the swamp seen particularly along the West Pearl higher bank areas near Crawford and Davis landings. Showed one up a tree to my brother, in the 70s, one evening coming back to our boat from a squirrel hunt.  No question they are there. Can't mistake those big eyes.

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.